[mou] Good birds at Miesville Ravine Sunday

Steve Weston sweston2@comcast.net
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 00:49:40 -0500

Miesville Ravine Dakota Co. Park   Sunday 8/27.

Good birds seen:

Yellow-breasted Chat - reported by Doug Mayo on the section of the park
along CR-91 near one of the two bridges.  This is not the section of the
park by the parking lots.

Connecticut Warbler - found by Bruce Baer in top of the trees near the
limestone blocks on the way to the meadow from the north parking lot.

Philadelphia Vireo - found along the Canon river

Black-chinned Hummingbird (female) - in the meadow.  Light crown and white
forehead create the image of a masked hummer.  Wings are long reaching
almost to the end of the tail and saber-shaped.  The bill is long and slight
curved.  I hesitated to mention this, especially when I was unable to take
its picture.

A Chestnut-sided Warbler (female) with large yellow wing patches.  We ID'd
it as a Golden-winged hybrid, but it is probably just atypically plumaged.

The 17 participants on the MRVAC sponsored field trip were treated to
perfect weather and some good birding, with a total of 55 species ID'd in
the park.  We had lots of vireos (primarily Red-eyed and Yellow-throated)
and few warblers.  At the end of the day, I counted 14 species of warblers,
although most participants probably found no more than five or six warbler
species.  There were lots of hummers.  I counted probably 25 or 30, but with
their high activity level, the number could have been several times that.
The jewelweed bloom attracting the hummers was the best I have seen in
years.

sweston2@comcast.net