[mou] 4 species of blackbird today in Nicollet County

rdunlap@gac.edu rdunlap@gac.edu
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:28:10 -0600

This afternoon I found a flock of about 300 blackbirds north of Swan
Lake along CR 5 in Nicollet County. The vast majority were Red-winged
Blackbirds, but there were also several Brown-headed Cowbirds present
in the flock, along with a few Common Grackles, plus one very late
male YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD. This is by far the latest I have ever
seen a Yellow-headed in MN...I don't think I've even seen one past
October. Surprisingly, I did not find any Rusty/Brewer's Blackbirds in
the flock. Also in the area was a lingering Horned Lark.

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County