[mou] ID question - Black-backed vs Three-toed

shawn conrad dingermcduff@hotmail.com
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 07:20:53 -0600

On yesterday's CBC near Grand Rapids, I found a bird I believe to be a male
Three-toed Woodpecker.  I used the Sibley guide to make the identification
and saw the bird at close range for several minutes.  The bird clearly had
barring on the length of its back, but it was tighter and more black-on-gray
compared to what almost looks like a more open and black-on-white patch of
barring on the Three-toed Woodpeckers in some guides.  I had a partner with
me who also noted the barring on the bird's back.

I haven't found this in any guide, but I'm wondering if male Black-backed
Woodpeckers ever show barring on the back.  Conversely, do Three-toed
Woodpeckers show some variability in the contrast of their barring?  I have
been asked to provide documentation for this sighting and answers to these
questions will help me.  Thanks.

Shawn Conrad
Bovey

age, and price. Try it!