[mou] Hedbom Forest Road Update

Cindy Risen cbutler@lcp2.net
Tue, 26 Dec 2006 09:01:58 -0600

Hello All,

Birding along the Hedbom Forest Road in NE Aitkin County over the holiday
weekend continued to be rewarding.

Great Gray Owl has been seen daily. Most sightings this weekend were
between 1.5 and 3 miles west of the St. Louis County Line or, if using a
map, just east and just west of the small, northward curve on the otherwise
straight east/west gravel road.

On Sunday I found a Northern Hawk Owl along the Hedbom Forest Road about .5
miles west of the eastern gate or about 1.5 miles west of St. Louis County
837. It was perching atop tall spruces in an open field on the north side
of the road. As far as I know it has NOT been relocated since Sunday.

American Three-toed Woodpecker sightings continue to be easy and rewarding.
On Sunday I was able to confirm the presence of at least THREE different
individuals. Cindy and I had found two obviously different males on our
earlier visits. On Sunday Al & Nathan Schirmacher and I watched what I
think were the same two males and a female bird working the same small
patch of forest. Butch Ukura and a group from Ohio were able to enjoy the
same birds on Sunday. Interestingly, when walking through the woods the Red
Squirrels would scold and chatter their warning notes at us. The American
Three-toed Woodpeckers would STOP pecking on their tree of choice and would
cling tightly and motionlessly to the trunk. After a few minutes (one -
five, no more), one would begin working the tree and the others would
immediately follow suit. If a squirrel would scold again, the three
woodpeckers would stop in unison. This is a behavior that Cindy and I
watched repeatedly yesterday.

Black-backed Woodpecker sightings continue as well, but no daily count has
been higher than four. There is SO much area to check here that getting an
accurate count is difficult. We know there are at least five different
birds, but there could easily be more. As the sun went down yesterday
afternoon, Cindy and I put an extremely cooperative male Black-backed
Woodpecker to bed. He worked the same small group of trees for the entire
hour or so we spent watching and photographing him. Standing still and
waiting for him to move a lower perch and/or into the sunlight worked very
well for us. Great birds!

Pine Grosbeaks remained elusive with our only sightings being individuals
or small groups flying over. They haven't started coming into our feeders
yet, but we see them most days driving along the roadways on our drive into
town.

White-winged Crossbills definitely outnumber Red Crossbills along the
Hedbom Forest Road, but both species have been seen daily. None have been
cooperative, but from the number of cones on the Tamarack Trees there is
certainly enough food for them to hang around for a while.

Red Crossbills have been seen daily as fly-overs. The best area to look for
them might be the thick Red Pine stands on the western end of the Hedbom
Forest Road.

Common Redpolls continue to be easy to find in the alder thickets along the
Hedbom Forest Road. We also had flocks of 25 - 50 birds flying over while
we were walking in the forest. They respond quite well to pishing. I could
get an entire flock to turn and come back to a perch close to us. This is
how we have been able to get counts of flock sizes.

Hoary Redpoll hasn't been seen by Cindy and me since last week and I didn't
hear of any reported by those birders I ran into over the weekend.
Searching through the larger flocks of Common Redpolls remains your best
option.

Evening Grosbeaks are most easily found at our feeders. While Cindy and I
have had a few, mostly groups of < 5, fly-over while birding in Aitkin
County, the daily visits of 50 - 100 birds in our neighborhood remain the
best way to find Evening Grosbeaks.

I have had a few requests to post better directions to the Hedbom Forest
Road from the Floodwood side. Here they are:

Take St. Louis County Road 837 SW out of Floodwood (also signed Laurie Road
in at least two spots) about 4.5 miles SW of Floodwood CR 837 turns from
blacktop to dirt. At that point there is a VERY confusing five-way
intersection (Floodwood Road, Floodwood Road, CR 837, CR 834 and CR 832).
There are also two white sign posts with eight to ten narrow white
pointer/type signs (note the bottom sign on the right-hand pole indicates
'Hedbom Trail' to your right). Turn to the right/west and follow the more
well traveled road signed St. Louis County Road 832.

After one mile there will be a 'Robinson Road' that turns to the left/south
and you will see a yellow metal gate and brown wooden sign that says,
"Hedbom Forest Road, Savanna State Forest". This is the beginning of the
Hedbom Forest Road. At the three mile point there is a large cut through
the bog on the right/north side of the road, this is the Aitkin / St. Louis
County Line. The woodpeckers and owls have been seen in the next two miles,
most often in the Tamarack bog areas in the next mile. Look for the
workings on both sides of the road.

Copies of the Hedbom Forest Road account and map from our upcoming book are
posted to our website: www.naturescapenews.com  You'll links to the account
on the top of the right hand navigation bar.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Kim Risen
Tamarack, Aitkin County