[mou] MOU Lake Superior Pelagic Trips

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 11:56:37 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C62BDD.8CA72990

Hello:

I got a call from Captain Dan Rau of the LL Smith Research Vessel.  We =
have confirmed the following dates for the 2006 Lake Superior Pelagic =
trips on Lake Superior.  Capt. Dan inform me that the prices have gone =
up from last year. This price increase is due because of the increase in =
fuel prices.  Last year the price was $20 per birder and this year the =
price will be $25 per birder.  These are 4-5 hour boat trips and we do a =
lot of roaming around on Lake Superior chumming and scanning for birds =
on the western tip of Lake Superior.  The crew of the LL Smith are =
really interested in birds found or seen on Lake Superior.  Capt Dan =
will turn the vessel around if we see anything of interest to insure all =
those on board get a good look of any birds that needs second looks.   =
The boat can handle 28 birders.  The price will rise if I do not get =
enough birders on board to pay for the LL Smith expenses.  Like last =
year I will supply coffee and some breakfast rolls.  The only =
requirement I ask is that all participants must bring a bag of popcorn =
to fill a large trash can for chumming.  If you want to see what the LL =
Smith looks like I have photo taken by Laura Erickson on my website =
under "Lake Superior Birding" page. =
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/=20

LL Smith is a good size vessel with a a lot of room on the stern and bow =
for standing or sitting.  There is also a balcony seating above the main =
deck of the LL Smith which offers wonderful views of Lake Superior.  Our =
travels on Lake Superior depends on wind conditions.  There are two =
routes we take. One route is clockwise where we head along the =
northshore to Brighton Beach and cut across Lake Superior till we are =
about even with the Superior Entry (tip of Park Pt.) and head thru the =
entry and turn around in the St. Louis Bay and head back thru the entry =
and come down Park Pt and back under the Lift Bridge to our loading =
dock.  The other route is to come out of the Lift Bridge (Canal Park) =
and head 4-5 miles out into Lake Superior and cut across to the Superior =
Entry and back down Park Point to our loading dock.

**Target birds **

-Harlequin Duck
-Surf Scoter
-White-winged Scoter
-Black Scoter
-Long-tailed Duck
-Red-throated Loon
-Pacific Loon
-Red Phalarope
-Parasitic Jaeger
-Long-tailed Jaeger
-Pomarine Jaeger
-Franklin's Gull (casual on Lake Superior)
-Little Gull
-Sabine's Gull
-Black-legged Kittiwake
-Thayer's Gull
-Iceland Gull
-Glaucous Gull
-Great Black-backed Gull
-Black Tern (uncommon on Lake Superior)
-Forester's Tern (uncommon on Lake Superior)
-Artic Tern

Of course there will be other waterfowl seen on these trips as well as =
gulls, soaring raptors, shorebirds and possibly some landbirds.  Very =
little is known about what birds are possibly using the western tip of =
Lake Superior as a staging area for resting or feeding before making the =
long journey to Hudson Bay or beyond.  These pelagics will help add data =
to see if Lake Superior could be a staging area for some artic species =
of birds.  When a birder scans Lake Superior horizon from the beach of =
Park Point,  we determine the farthest you can see birds is about 2/3 or =
a mile out.  These pelagics the LL Smith will be 4-5 miles out from the =
beaches of Park Point.  Last year the Red Phalarope and the Sabine's =
Gulls were 3.5 miles out from the airport located on Park Pt.  There =
would be no chance for any birder to view these birds from the beach.  =
This to me is significant and could possibly open a new chapter of bird =
migration on Lake Superior.  So come and help me discover Lake Superior. =
=20

I will take the first 28 birders on any of the pelagic trip offerings =
below. So please sign up ASAP.

June 3rd: A great time to view large flocks of Bonaparte Gulls and =
terns.  Amongst these flocks we will search for Artic Terns, Little =
Gulls, Sabine Gulls.  This time period will be peak times for =
Red-throated Loons in breeding plumage.  This loon is seen regularly =
each late spring on Lake Superior.  We keep an eye out for Pacific Loons =
as well as there are several records of spring sightings of Pacific =
Loons on Lake Superior.  28 birders max.

September 9th:  This pelagic trip will concentrate on Sabine Gulls as =
this is a peak time to find one or several on Lake Superior. Also =
jaegers species especially Long-tailed Jaeger will be on our radar!  We =
will also keep an eye out for Little Gulls as Bonaparte's Gulls will be =
arriving around this time period. Max 28 birders

September 23rd:  This pelagic falls in line with the Hawk Weekend at =
Hawk Ridge.  After the pelagic trip you can head up to Hawk Ridge and =
scan for raptors. Sort of like surf and turf.  As September rolls in =
more interesting birds can be found on Lake Superior.  Small headed =
gulls like Sabine's and Little Gulls will be our targets as well as =
Jaeger species, Artic Terns and other tern species, Red-throated loon,  =
and Pacific Loon.  Large headed gulls will begin to arrive on Lake =
Superior as well, like Thayer's Gulls, Franklin's Gull, Lesser =
Black-backed Gull, or a early Glaucous Gull. Max 28 birders

October 7th:  One word--Red Phalarope.  This shorebird of the artic =
makes its decent into the great lake regions this time of year and =
hopefully we will find one.  The whole spectrum of gulls, terns, jaegers =
and other sea birds will be on our target screen.  Waterfowl like =
Harlequin Ducks, Scoters, Long-tailed Ducks or possibly a Eider species =
all are reasonable to find at this time of year on Lake Superior. =
Hopefully the Lake Gitchi Gumi gods are with us! Max 28 birders

Hope to see you all on these MOU Lake Superior Pelagics

Mike Hendrickson
MOU Field Trip chairman
Duluth Minnesota=20

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Minnesota Birding Treks
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C62BDD.8CA72990

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Hello:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>I got a call from Captain Dan =
Rau of the=20
LL Smith Research Vessel.&nbsp; We have confirmed the following dates =
for the=20
2006 Lake Superior Pelagic trips on Lake Superior.&nbsp; Capt. Dan =
inform me=20
that the prices have gone up from last year. This price increase is due =
because=20
of the increase in fuel prices.&nbsp; Last year the price was $20 per =
birder and=20
this year the price will be $25 per birder.&nbsp; These are 4-5 hour =
boat trips=20
and we do a lot of roaming around on Lake Superior chumming and scanning =
for=20
birds on the western tip of Lake Superior.&nbsp; The crew of the LL =
Smith are=20
really interested in birds found or seen on Lake Superior.&nbsp; Capt =
Dan will=20
turn the vessel around if we see anything of interest to insure all =
those on=20
board get a good look of any birds that needs second looks.&nbsp;&nbsp; =
The boat=20
can handle 28 birders.&nbsp; The price&nbsp;will rise&nbsp;if&nbsp;I do =
not get=20
enough birders on board to pay for the&nbsp;LL =
Smith&nbsp;expenses.&nbsp; Like=20
last year I will supply coffee and some breakfast rolls.&nbsp; The only=20
requirement I ask is that&nbsp;all participants&nbsp;must bring a bag of =
popcorn=20
to fill a large trash can for chumming.&nbsp; If you want to see what =
the LL=20
Smith looks like I have photo taken by Laura Erickson on my website =
under "Lake=20
Superior Birding" page.&nbsp;<A=20
href=3D"http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/">http://webpages.chart=
er.net/mmhendrickson/</A>=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>LL Smith is a good size =
vessel with a a=20
lot of room on the stern and bow for standing or sitting.&nbsp; There is =
also a=20
balcony&nbsp;seating above the main deck of the LL Smith which offers =
wonderful=20
views of Lake Superior.&nbsp; Our travels on Lake Superior depends on =
wind=20
conditions.&nbsp; There are two routes we take. One route is clockwise =
where we=20
head along the northshore to Brighton Beach and cut across Lake Superior =
till we=20
are about even with the Superior Entry (tip of Park Pt.) and head thru =
the entry=20
and turn around in the St. Louis Bay and head back thru the entry and =
come down=20
Park Pt and back under the Lift Bridge to our loading dock.&nbsp; The =
other=20
route is to come out of the Lift Bridge (Canal Park) and head 4-5 miles =
out into=20
Lake Superior and cut across to the Superior Entry and back down Park =
Point to=20
our loading dock.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>**Target birds =
**</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Harlequin Duck</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Surf Scoter</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-White-winged =
Scoter</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Black Scoter</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Long-tailed =
Duck</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Red-throated =
Loon</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Pacific Loon</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Red Phalarope</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Parasitic =
Jaeger</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Long-tailed =
Jaeger</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Pomarine Jaeger</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Franklin's Gull (casual on =
Lake=20
Superior)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Little Gull</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Sabine's Gull</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Black-legged =
Kittiwake</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Thayer's Gull</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Iceland Gull</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Glaucous Gull</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Great Black-backed =
Gull</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Black Tern (uncommon on Lake =

Superior)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Forester's Tern (uncommon on =
Lake=20
Superior)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>-Artic Tern</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Of course there will be other =
waterfowl=20
seen on these trips as well as gulls, soaring raptors, shorebirds and =
possibly=20
some landbirds.&nbsp; Very little is known about what birds are possibly =
using=20
the western tip of Lake Superior as a staging area for resting or =
feeding before=20
making the long journey to Hudson Bay or beyond.&nbsp; =
These&nbsp;pelagics will=20
help add data to see if Lake Superior could be a staging area for some =
artic=20
species of birds.&nbsp; When a birder scans Lake Superior horizon from =
the beach=20
of Park Point,&nbsp; we determine the farthest you can see birds is =
about 2/3 or=20
a mile out.&nbsp; These pelagics the LL Smith will be 4-5 miles out from =
the=20
beaches of Park Point.&nbsp; Last year the Red Phalarope and the =
Sabine's Gulls=20
were 3.5 miles out from the airport located on Park Pt.&nbsp; There =
would be no=20
chance for any birder to view these birds from the beach.&nbsp; This to =
me is=20
significant and could possibly open a&nbsp;new chapter of bird migration =
on Lake=20
Superior.&nbsp; So come and help me discover Lake=20
Superior.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>I will take the first 28 =
birders on any=20
of the&nbsp;pelagic trip offerings below. So please sign up =
ASAP.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>June 3rd: A great time to =
view large=20
flocks of Bonaparte Gulls and&nbsp;terns.&nbsp; Amongst these flocks we =
will=20
search for Artic Terns, Little Gulls, Sabine =
Gulls.&nbsp;&nbsp;This&nbsp;time=20
period will be peak times for Red-throated&nbsp;Loons in=20
breeding&nbsp;plumage.&nbsp;&nbsp;This loon is seen regularly each=20
late&nbsp;spring on Lake Superior.&nbsp;&nbsp;We&nbsp;keep an eye out =
for=20
Pacific Loons as well as there&nbsp;are several records&nbsp;of spring =
sightings=20
of Pacific Loons on Lake Superior.&nbsp; 28 birders max.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>September =
9th:&nbsp;&nbsp;This pelagic=20
trip will concentrate on Sabine Gulls as this is a peak time to find one =
or=20
several on Lake Superior. Also jaegers species&nbsp;especially =
Long-tailed=20
Jaeger will be on our radar!&nbsp;&nbsp;We will also keep an eye out for =
Little=20
Gulls as Bonaparte's Gulls will be arriving around this time period. Max =
28=20
birders</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>September 23rd:&nbsp; This =
pelagic falls=20
in line with the Hawk&nbsp;Weekend at&nbsp;Hawk Ridge.&nbsp; After the =
pelagic=20
trip you can head up to Hawk Ridge and scan for raptors. Sort of like =
surf and=20
turf.&nbsp;&nbsp;As&nbsp;September&nbsp;rolls in&nbsp;more interesting =
birds can=20
be found on Lake Superior.&nbsp; Small headed gulls like Sabine's and =
Little=20
Gulls will be our targets as well as Jaeger species,&nbsp;Artic Terns =
and other=20
tern species,&nbsp;Red-throated loon,</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT face=3D"Comic =
Sans MS"=20
size=3D2> and Pacific Loon.&nbsp; Large headed gulls will begin to =
arrive on Lake=20
Superior as well, like Thayer's Gulls, Franklin's Gull, Lesser =
Black-backed=20
Gull, or a early Glaucous Gull. Max 28 birders</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>October =
7th:</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT=20
face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2> One word--Red Phalarope.&nbsp; This =
shorebird of=20
the artic makes its decent into the great lake regions this time of year =
and=20
hopefully we will find one.&nbsp;&nbsp;The whole spectrum of gulls, =
terns,=20
jaegers and other sea birds will be on our target screen.&nbsp; =
Waterfowl like=20
Harlequin&nbsp;Ducks, Scoters, Long-tailed Ducks or possibly a=20
Eider&nbsp;species all are reasonable to find at this time of year on =
Lake=20
Superior. Hopefully&nbsp;the Lake Gitchi Gumi&nbsp;gods are with us! Max =
28=20
birders</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Hope to see&nbsp;you all on =
these MOU=20
Lake Superior Pelagics</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Mike Hendrickson</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>MOU Field Trip =
chairman</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Duluth =
Minnesota</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Michael =
Hendrickson<BR>Duluth,=20
Minnesota<BR>Minnesota Birding Treks<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/">http://webpages.chart=
er.net/mmhendrickson/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C62BDD.8CA72990--