[mou] Fwd: Status of House Sparrows and Starlings

Jim Williams two-jays@att.net
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:27:37 -0600

This means that birds of these species can continue to receive
rehabilitation should someone bring them to a wildlife rehab facility.

Jim Williams
Wayzata

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Steve Hirsch" <steve.hirsch@dnr.state.mn.us>
Date: February 10, 2006 11:19:17 AM CST

Subject: Status of House Sparrows and Starlings

I wanted to let you know that the Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
has decided not to change the status of house sparrows and starlings as
part of our rulemaking process.  This means that they will remain as
unregulated nonnative species, so it will continue to be legal to
possess and release them.  These species will also continue to be
unprotected, which means they can be taken at any time and by any legal
method.

I realize that this was an important issue for all of you and that
there were divergent opinions on the best course of action.  The DNR
concluded that, while sparrows and starlings can harm bluebirds and
other bird species, the relatively small number of them being released
has no measurable affect on bird populations.  In addition, sparrows
and starlings are unprotected, which allows people to take these birds
for any reason.  Given these facts, it did not seem necessary for the
DNR to have additional regulations for these two species.

I want everyone to know that we valued their input and it was helpful
in making a decision.  I have tried to include everyone who commented
on this issue in this message, but if you know of anyone I have missed
or who would like to know what the final decision was, please feel free
to forward this to them.

Steve Hirsch
DNR, Division of Ecological Services
(651) 259-5106