[mou] Sax-Zim birds and SL Red Crossbills

JELLISBIRD@aol.com JELLISBIRD@aol.com
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:23:02 EST

    Went through the bog on Friday. Saw Linda Sparling's Snowy Owl NE of
Meadowlands. It was west of St. Louis 29 just south of SL 740 (Dart Road) sitting
on one of the large fenceposts in the light snowfall. It was large, full white
face, white bib and fine dark barring on the rest. Checked again on Saturday
and again today but did not see it again. Saw the Stone Lake Hawk Owl on
Friday (N of Stone Lake Road) and again today (S of Stone lake Road.) Saw 250 Snow
Buntings in cow pasture in NW quadrant from intersection of SL 29 and Dart
Road (SL 740) and about 100 today. Saw 15 Rough Legged Hawks (5 Dark) in the bog.
Saw a single Black Billed Magpie harrassing a Dark Phase Rough Legged Hawk on
the east side of SL7 .5miles N. of SL 28.
    This morning I was coming south on MN73 about a mile South of SL County
65 (this is north of Chisolm) when I approached two small birds in the road.
One flew up into a small tree along and as I passed I could see that the other
was dead on the road. I turned around and went back. The dead bird was a male
Red-Crossbill. As i held it the female had flown to a taller tree along the HGH
and vocalized for about a minute as I examined its mate and returned it to
the side of the road. It was an unfortunate way to get a good look at a
Crossbill.
    John Ellis-St. Paul