[mou] Sax Zim Bog logging news

shawn conrad dingermcduff@hotmail.com
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 20:58:44 -0600

I agree, this is not a good situation.  I am not against logging at all (in
fact, I think it's the best tool we have for keeping industrial and county
forestland from being parcelled off into lots until local politics evolves
into something that serves interests other than those of developers, not to
mention if we're going to consume resources we shouldn't just take them from
the forests of other countries and pretend it's not happening), but I don't
like seeing lowland conifers that take nearly a lifetime to mature into a
*usable* forest (one with different age classes, openings, cavities, good
seed production) being converted to paper, much of which is wasted on credit
card solicitations, free newspapers we don't ask for, etc.  Big picture,
this is going to get worse if we don't address consumption issues.
Personally, I don't think I could complain about forests being cut for
pulpwood unless I was doing what I could to reduce my own paper
consumption--not suggesting anyone here is doing that.  Reducing consumption
and eliminating waste is just always a good, mostly painless starting point
when discussing environmental issues.

I do realize that even if everyone on this listserve stopped using paper
altogether these stands would still be logged.  That's the way it
is...public land managers often don't understand that there are a lot of
people out there that value a wet, buggy, county-owned tamarack bog an hour
or more from their homes for anything other than the pulpwood...it's
unfathomable to some.  Wish I had some fabulous idea for how to change the
way primary sector economics and land management decisions work...but I'm
glad that Mike is bringing this issue to the listserve because there will
never be a full page spread in the paper, "Hey, we're gonna log McDavitt,
anyone mind?  Call St. Louis...."  It just happens one day and only those
who are in the area when it happens know about it.  With the warm weather
all winter and things just freezing up recently, I think the loggers are
going to be beating the bogs pretty hard over the next few weeks trying to
make up for lost time...watch out for logging trucks 24/7 if you plan on
birding up north!!!!

Anyway, my main motivation for posting is to disburse this related piece of
news in case you missed it.  It's about an expansion of the Blandin Paper
plant in Grand Rapids that would increase the volume of timber cut in the
area...scroll down to 'Timber' to see how much.  I think it's kind of ironic
that immediately after Minnesota forests were certified "sustainable" this
proposal would come out.  My gut feeling (I'll admit the need to do more
research, so hold the flames please) is that the economic and environmental
impacts look sugar coated as this proposal claims $180-360/cord of wood
return to the local economy.  (based on 197,000-400,000 additional cords of
wood and $77,000,000 per year to local economy)  I wish I could attend the
public hearing to see how those numbers reconcile and how much of that wood
would come from conifer bogs in and around Sax-Zim.  Ironic that a project
birders should find at least questionable is called "Thunderhawk"....

*DNR seeks comment on Grand Rapids paper mill expansion*

A proposal to increase paper manufacturing at the UPM/Blandin paper mill in
Grand Rapids took another step forward today as the Minnesota Department of
Natural Resources (DNR) released a draft environmental impact statement for
public review and comment.

The 800-page document, prepared during the past year in cooperation with the
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA), UPM/Blandin Paper and the Grand
Rapids Public Utilities Commission, details potential impacts of installing
a new paper machine and increasing the plant's efficiency. The project,
known as Thunderhawk, will increase the mill's annual wood consumption by
approximately 197,000 cords to 400,000 cords per year.

"Release of the draft environmental impact statement represents a
significant milestone in the review process," said Bill Johnson, DNR
environmental impact statement project manager. "This document gives the
public a detailed look at the project and its consequences. There's also the
opportunity to provide feedback for agency consideration."

Public comments will be accepted through March 7. The DNR and its consultant
will consider all substantive comments in the final environmental impact
statement, which is expected to be available for a 10-working-day public
review period in early April.
When complete, the project could result in 27 new full-time jobs and produce
761,000 tons of publication-grade paper per year. The draft environmental
impact statement contains detailed analysis of the project's impacts and
mitigation relating to potential traffic, noise, socioeconomic and timber
harvest.

Principal findings include:

TRAFFIC
The project is not expected to cause excessive delays to drivers operating
along the existing road network in Grand Rapids. The project is expected to
increase traffic volume by 2 to 5 percent. Delays can be addressed by
adjusting signal timing at key intersections or by adjusting travel routes.

RAIL
Project implementation will result in approximately five minutes of
additional delay at Grand Rapids rail crossings. A train services the mill
twice a day and the number of railcars will increase from an average of 18
to 37 cars per trip.

NOISE
The draft environmental impact statement required the collection of new
noise data to project current and future noise conditions. Existing noise
was within the state daytime noise standard but exceeded the state nighttime
noise standard by one decibel. The MPCA was notified and Blandin Paper
Company took the actions necessary to bring the facility back into
compliance with state regulations.
Future noise levels with the project are projected to be within state noise
standards. Annual noise monitoring will be a condition of the MPCA air
permit.

SOCIOECONOMICS
If approved, the project would be built in late 2008 or early 2009. Local
construction expenditures are projected to be approximately $96 million.
Installation of the new paper machine will add 27 full-time jobs to the mill
from current operations. The total economic impact of building the project
upon the local economy is $77 million per year compared with the present.

TIMBER HARVEST
The proposed expansion would increase statewide demand for aspen, spruce and
balsam fir by 5 percent over current conditions. The draft environmental
impact statement analysis indicates the additional harvest to supply the
project could have a small impact on plant diversity, soil nutrients, soil
erosion, visual quality, recreation resources and cultural/historical
resources.

UPM/Blandin Paper's forest management includes provisions to address each of
these impacts. These impacts are also addressed through the state's
programmatic effort conducted statewide. The draft environmental impact
statement also reports that although statewide aspen harvest levels are
approaching the estimated maximum sustainable harvest level for all
ownerships, modeling shows this expansion is sustainable under current
conditions.

Public review copies of these documents are available at the DNR library,
500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul; the DNR Regional Office in Grand Rapids, 1201
East Highway 2; the Grand Rapids Area Library, 140 NE Second Street; the
Duluth Public Library, 144 West Second Street; and the Environmental
Conservation Library, 250 Marquette Avenue, Minneapolis. There are limited
copies of the draft environmental impact statement available. A draft
environmental impact statement summary is available by calling the DNR at
(651) 259-5157 or toll free 1-888-MINNDNR (646-6367). The documents are also
posted on DNR's Web site at www.dnr.state.mn.us/input/index.html.

The DNR will hold a public informational meeting at the Robert J. Elkington
Middle School in Grand Rapids on Feb. 21, at 7 p.m.

Written comments on the draft environmental impact statement must be
received by 4:30 p.m. on March 7. Comments and inquiries should be directed
to: Bill Johnson, DNR, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155-4025; or (651)
259-5157.