[mou] In defense of the "Big Guys"

LEO LAURIE LANTZ lanl1965@msn.com
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:59:08 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C639F2.1E9CA8D0

Derek: I was banned for accidentally sending a political satire with no =
offensive words or images to the MOU net-serve.It was after the 2004 =
elections.It was meant to be sent to MOM which was right next to MOU in =
my address book(my bad for hitting the wrong button).I didn't know what =
I did and immediately started getting many ,many emails from MOU members =
which contained "F" words in combinations I had never heard before and =
will surely never forget.
A kind MOU member named Lisa Koch sent me an e-mail stating what had =
happened and that "any rational member of the list would surely see the =
post as a mistake,but in order that you don't receive hundreds of 'hate =
mails' just send an explaination of what happened to the list so people =
will be aware"
Until Lisa sent me this friendly message I was under the assumption that =
my computer was corrupted from some sort of virus and the most vitrolic =
messages were from addresses which  contained 'umn.edu' addresses.
After sending my apology,I continued to receive hate mails for over 2 =
weeks.I really have enjoyed this list-serve,but to be honest after this =
situation it really de-flated my impression of the Mou.
Also it should be noted that if it wasn't for the kind intervention of =
Mrs.Koch or Mr.Hendrickson ,neither of whom I'd ever met,I wouldn't have =
known what I had done.
What's even funnier ,or sadder, is my personal views are that of a =
middle of the road democrat with a bit more leaning towards =
conservatism.My political idol is Mr.Collin Peterson from MN 7th =
district I believe.Yet I was assummed by most,which was very =
disturbing,especially after I had publically and honestly explained the =
situation on the MOU-listserve more than once,that I was a cross between =
Ed Meese and Attilla the Hun.
I was banned from the MOU list and found this out after trying to post =
several birding messages.I would receive an automated response stating I =
was explicitly banned and would need to contact the list moderator.I =
didn't even know why I was banned.Everytime I received this message I =
would send a reply asking why I was banned and for 2 years never =
received an explanatory response,even though I've been an Mou member for =
4 years.
Then one week age I was looking at Mr Henrickson's website and saw the =
listing for pelagic birding trips on L.Superior.To make a long story =
shorter,I told Mr Henrickson that I wasn't going to renew my MOU family =
membership and told him why,thinking I would not be able to participate =
on the trip which I believed to be exclusive to MOU members.
This is when Mike got involved and contacted the MOU.Mike is a guy that =
is politically incorrect and says what he thinks,and these days this =
approach,although honest and commendible in my humble opinion,is not =
adviseable in these "politically - correct" times.Immediateately,after =
his post,I recevied a call from the Mou stating my post priviledges had =
been reinstated the previous week although I had not been notified and =
thus did not know this.Apparently they were reinstated after I attempted =
to reply to an MOU post re; how to save the boreal forest by opting out =
of all the excess mailings sent to everyone from catologs to credit =
applications.I did this and wanted tho let Mou members know about how it =
went,ie it was easy to opt out of credit applications ,but another =
company diverts callers to a '900" number and tries to charge you $9.95 =
even though they have an "800" number listed and when you call AOL they =
deny any responsibility for sending all those unwanted AOL disks and =
refer you to the US Postal Service.When I attempted to post this again I =
was denied.
So this whole siily situation errupted when dumb me pushed a wrong =
button in an attempt to illustrate to my Rep. parents that all =
candidates are not what they seem and that I could take a joke relating =
to a previous e-mail sent to me.This set off a fury of responses to me =
assumming that I wanted to log the boreal forest and start shooting =
Ivory Billed-Woodpeckers & Kirtland's Warblers. =20
For the record I am a beady-eyed,skinny necked geek with a bad back and =
enlarged prostate who has had to walk around with the moniker of 'leo' =
my whole life(read only 3 letters and spelled exactly as it sounds)as my =
parents must have realized by day one I would never be able to spell a =
name such as 'John' as the silent 'h' would be too much for me,not to =
mention having to memorize 4 letters.
I enjoy the smell of cow-manure and leather,love birding,am against the =
war in Iraq,driving over 55mph and every single environmental policy =
pushed by the current administration so far.I really admire =
Mr.Hendrickson's notifications about the logging of the SAX-Zim Bog and =
the personal phone call from Mr.Alt telling me I had my posting =
privledges reinstated.
This is the last time I will bore everyone with this topic but simply =
felt the need to clear the air honestly.
ps.-I appologize for the multitude of spelling errors because as you all =
know by now,I'm just not very smart.
Peace out,
L.James Lantz