[mou] Clay Co Snowy Owl

patrick.beauzay@ndsu.edu patrick.beauzay@ndsu.edu
Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:59:45 -0600 (CST)

Hello all,

I did some late winter birding this afternoon in the Glyndon-Felton area.
I found an adult male snowy owl near the Bicentennial prairie along Clay
CR 108.  If anyone comes up this way, be aware that the dirt roads to the
prairies around the gravel pits are not plowed.  If you want to get out to
the prairie, you'll have to snowshoe!  Along CR 34 east of Felton I found
a rough-legged hawk, and 3 miles east of Ulen I found an adult bald eagle.
 Also saw 8 greater prairie chickens on the gravel road east of the
Blazing Star Prairie, including one individual perched in the top branches
of a large cottonwood tree!  200+ horned larks, 100+ snow buntings.
Tomorrow I'm going to head for the Fertile area and see what I can find.

Cheers!

Pat

Patrick Beauzay
Department of Entomology