[mou] MSP airport Snowy Owls

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 12:56:58 -0600

I have seen the Snowy Owls twice in the past 24 hours. A 2nd year male
bird was visible from the FEDEX truck staging lot on Weds afternoon
(1/4/06). Mark LaRose and Jim Otto and I saw the bird at a distance
across the runways looking northwest. It was a very light bird with
brownish markings and a nearly white crown. It was sitting on the ground
atop a little snow pile. It was over a quarter mile distant, viewed
through a scope. I saw it at about 4:15 pm.

I watched a female Snowy with many dark feather edges this morning
(1/5/06) at 9:45 AM. It was visible from Cargo Rd ad you drive east out
of the first tunnel and then look to you right. This is a large array of
runways visible; this Snowy was perched atop a runway number sign (I
forget the number).  It was about 300 yards away. It is so heavily
marked that it looks grey to the naked eye (its back was to me). With
binos the details come into focus and the patterning can be discerned. =20

So, there are at least two birds still at the airport. I encourage all
viewers to reveal their findings (or not findings) for these birds so we
can determine if there is a pattern to their behaviors. Please post to
MOU net with the time of day, exact position of your viewing, relative
position of the bird, and what the patterning of the bird was. (very
white on back and top of head, bib extended far down breast vs. very
heavily patterned black markings on back and breast and cap of head. Bib
extended only to chin of bird. Please relate if you looked and didn't
find it , as well. Many people are looking to add this bird to their
year and life list and more information will be better. Some parts of
this area do not lend themselves to safe stopping and viewing. The Owl I
saw today was viewed form an area that has no safe stopping area. Please
relate how you arranged to see the birds, what your parking and viewing
points were.

I am hoping to capture more video of these birds, but these distances
are too great for quality filming, so I may be going back a lot. I will
post my findings, please do the same. Good Birding.