[mou] North Shore T. Solitaire, Red-bellied Woodpecker, etc.

Jim Lind jslind@frontiernet.net
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:44:58 -0600

Yesterday Sharon and I birded the North Shore from Two Harbors to
Grand Marais with Dave and Sarah Grosshuesch.  We found a Red-bellied
Woodpecker on the west side of Beaver Bay, in the small neighborhood
south of Highway 61.  It was near the junction of Slater Drive and
Ruth Street.  There was also a pair of Northern Cardinals and four
American Robins here.

We found a Townsend's Solitaire in Schoeder along Highway 61, at the
road to the Father Baragas Cross.  We could not find either of the
two solitaires at the Tofte Town Park, but we did have a flock of
about 30 Bohemian Waxwings fly over.

In Grand Marais there was a flock of at least 125 Bohemain Waxwings
and about 25 Cedar Waxwings along 8th Avenue, a block up from Highway
61.  We found a pair of Northern Cardinals near 10th Avenue and 2nd
Street.  We didn't see any Harlequins in the harbor, and only saw a
couple dozen Herring Gulls.  The lake was extremely rough with 20+
mph southeast winds.

The mountain ash crop is pretty amazing up there.  We saw small
groups of Pine Grosbeaks all along Highway 61 between Beaver Bay and
Grand Marais.

Jim Lind
Two Harbors