[mou] Varied Thrush @ UMD

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:35:59 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C61B7B.B71DD1F0

The Varied Thrush was relocated yesterday at the corner of Kirby Drive =
and St. Marie Street on the east end side of the University of Minnesota =
- Duluth campus. The Varied thrush (female) was first seen in one of the =
3 large cedar trees on this corner.  When I set up my scope the bird was =
gone and I waited for the bird to come out so I can get a photo of it.  =
After a brief time of waiting and chatting with Sarah G. and Molly Evans =
I decided to check the Bagley Nature parking lot which is about a half =
block north of the Kirby Drive/Oakland St & St. Marie St. corner.  When =
you pull into the parking lot there is a sign on the far side that reads =
"Bagley Nature ??" and also there is a brown portable restroom =
(satellite) next to the sign. Park here and look at the tall Mt. Ash =
Tree mixed with a Jack Pine and some Spruce Trees. The bird was eating =
Mt. Ash berries under the heavy cover of one of the spruce trees.

To get to the UMD campus from I-35:  Take I-35 thru Duluth to 21st Ave. =
East exit.  Take the exit and head up the hill on 21st Ave East. You'll =
be going thru a series of stop lights, eventually 21st Ave. East ends at =
Woodland Ave and veer to the right onto Woodland Ave.  Follow Woodland =
Ave to St. Marie Street (stop lights) take a left on St. Marie Street. =
Follow St. Marie St. and watch on your left for Kirby Dr/Oakland St.  =
You can park on the shoulder in front of crab apple trees and scan from =
here or pull into the parking lot on your left and scan from here as I =
did.  IF the bird is not here at this location,  you can walk or drive =
the short distance to the Bagley Nature Parking lot and walk towards the =
dorm room buildings and check the tall Mt. Ash tree and look for the =
bird here.  I heard some robins in this area while looking for the =
Varied Thrush.

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Minnesota Birding Treks
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C61B7B.B71DD1F0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>The Varied Thrush was =
relocated yesterday=20
at the corner of Kirby Drive and St. Marie Street on the east end side =
of the=20
University of Minnesota - Duluth campus. The Varied thrush (female) was =
first=20
seen in one of the 3 large cedar trees on this corner.&nbsp; When I set =
up my=20
scope the bird was gone and I waited for the bird to come out so I can =
get a=20
photo of it.&nbsp; After a brief time of waiting and chatting with Sarah =
G. and=20
Molly Evans I decided to check the Bagley Nature parking lot which is =
about a=20
half block north of the Kirby Drive/Oakland St &amp; St. Marie St. =
corner.&nbsp;=20
When you pull into the parking lot there is a sign on the far side that =
reads=20
"Bagley Nature ??" and also there is a brown portable restroom =
(satellite) next=20
to the sign. Park here and look at the tall Mt. Ash Tree mixed&nbsp;with =
a Jack=20
Pine and some Spruce Trees. The bird was eating Mt. Ash berries under =
the heavy=20
cover of one of the spruce trees.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>To get to the UMD campus from =
I-35:&nbsp;=20
Take I-35 thru Duluth to 21st Ave. East exit.&nbsp; Take the exit and =
head up=20
the hill on 21st Ave East. You'll be going thru a series of stop lights, =

eventually 21st Ave. East ends at Woodland Ave and veer to the right =
onto=20
Woodland Ave.&nbsp; Follow Woodland Ave to St. Marie Street (stop =
lights) take a=20
left on St. Marie Street. Follow St. Marie St. and watch on your left =
for Kirby=20
Dr/Oakland St.&nbsp; You can park on the shoulder in front of crab apple =
trees=20
and scan from here or pull into the parking lot on your left and scan =
from here=20
as I did.&nbsp; IF the bird is not here at this location,&nbsp; you can =
walk or=20
drive the short distance to the Bagley Nature Parking lot and walk =
towards the=20
dorm room buildings and check the tall Mt. Ash tree and look for the =
bird=20
here.&nbsp; I heard some robins in this area while looking for the =
Varied=20
Thrush.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Michael =
Hendrickson<BR>Duluth,=20
Minnesota<BR>Minnesota Birding Treks<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/">http://webpages.chart=
er.net/mmhendrickson/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C61B7B.B71DD1F0--