[mou] Gyrfalcon sighting/Eden Prairie

Cynthia Slocum saslocum@usfamily.net
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:16:26 -0600

On Jan 21  at 8:00 AM my backyard was visited by a white gyrfalcon.  He
perched about thirty feet up in a cottonwood and surveyed the area briefly
before flying north across some detention ponds toward Anderson Lakes.  My
wife and I climbed the berm behind our house and were able to see the bird
on another deciduous perch 200 yards out.  I've never seen a gyrfalcon
before, but since there are no other huge all white hawks to choose from,
I think I'm right.  It certainly wasn't a snowy owl.  Has anyone from the
Anderson Lakes area of Eden Prairie had a similar sighting?  I attempted
to relocate the bird along Anderson Lakes Parkway, from Preserve Blvd to
Hwy 169 with no success.  I also drove down Prairie Lakes Parkway, south
of the EP Mall where there is a good vantage point of the lake, but no
gyrfalcon.

Steve Slocum

--- http://USFamily.Net/dialup.html - $8.25/mo! -- http://www.usfamily.net/dsl.html - $19.99/mo! ---