[mou] Iceland Gull/Duluth update

Peder Svingen psvingen@d.umn.edu
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:16:07 -0600

Between 10:00 AM and noon today (22 January) an adult "Kumlien's"
Iceland Gull was at Canal Park in Duluth. This is probably the same
bird reported by Kim Eckert at the Superior landfill on the 18th. To
the best of my knowledge, this is the first time it has been seen in
Duluth this winter. Four Glaucous Gulls (2 first-cycle and 2
second-cycle birds) were also present.
There was a second-hand report of a Gyrfalcon flying over the Blatnik
Bridge sometime this morning, but I have no further information.
Other noteworthy sightings in St. Louis County today:
Ring-necked Duck--female at Canal Park with 300+ goldeneyes, same bird
as Duluth CBC;
Greater Scaup--3 males and 2 females still present in Duluth harbor,
same birds as Duluth CBC;
Long-tailed Duck--one with goldeneyes at Canal Park for the second
consecutive day;
Hooded Merganser--male in Duluth harbor, probably same as Duluth CBC;
Northern Hawk Owl--seen by a group from California/Texas along CR 319
(Stone Lake Rd) and CR 213 (McDavitt Rd) in Sax-Zim;
Varied Thrush--still present along St. Marie Street at UMD.
--
Peder Svingen
Duluth, MN