[mou] Dakota Co. (long & probably too chatty)

Steve Weston sweston2@comcast.net
Sun, 9 Jul 2006 12:13:58 -0500

On Saturday, about noon, being in Lakeville, I went to check out the prairie
near Soberg WMA southwest of CR70 and I-35.   I had visited this spot about
a week ago, and had thought I heard the Henslows singing intermittently a
couple of times, but found it hard to separate the song out from the
background activity of the Sedge Wrens.  This time a Henslows was singing
consistently and the song was unmistakable, east of the intersection and
south of the road,   although I never did see the bird.

If you haven't gotten your fix of Bobolinks for the year, they were in my
face most of the time, perching on the fence and scolding me. This time the
males only approached me, with the females in the background scurrying for
food.  I suspect that the nest near the road that last week I was too close
to, has fledged.   Last week I found Dickcissels, food in bill, on the
fence.  This week they seemed less intent on scrounging, and were actually
singing on the wire.   Other birds there included a brown Thrasher, noisy,
but concealed Sedge Wrens all over, and a Marsh Wren.  Also found an Eyed
Brown Butterfly.  I talked with one of the locals and found out that the
owners do not hay these fields.

In another marsh in Lakeville I found a Spotted Sandpiper that I suspect was
trying to draw me away from its nest.

Around the yard on Quiggley Lake the Barred Owls have fledged three, who are
every night begging right outside our window.  The sound is closest to the
scream of Red-tailed Hawk.  Last night they were practicing adult calls.
The Baltimore Orioles are scarfing down the grape jelly.  Yesterday we had
four females/immatures and Cherie tells me that there are two males.  Hairy
and Downies with young are visiting the suet and the chickadees with their
darker young ones are constantly parading through the sunflower feeder.  We
have one Woody female that hangs around the yard, but I hope she is not the
one that led between eleven and fourteen little ones out of one of our
boxes.  Our lake is historically quite inhospitable to your Woodies,
although I have never figured out why they fare so much more poorly than the
Mallards.

I hope Cherie's list is not so long that I can't get out.

sweston2@comcast.net