[mou] Statewide Big Day results--156 species

Tom tomanelson@mac.com
Fri, 14 Jul 2006 10:24:21 -0500

--Apple-Mail-1-637286470

Hi,

Jim Hughes and I recorded 156 species during an all-out ABA Minnesota
Big Day on Wednesday, 7/12/06.

Highlights included Hooded Warbler and Henslow's Sparrow at
Murphy-Hanrehan, Greater Prairie-Chicken and Chestnut-collared Longspur
at Felton Prairie, and great looks at Gray Jays and Short-eared Owls in
Roseau County.   Our total included only five migrant shorebird
species.

These results are just a tiny reflection of something we all already
know--Minnesota has a truly outstanding diversity of summering birds.

Regards,
Tom Nelson
Ramsey County

P.S.  Just for fun, I checked out the 2005 ABA Big Day report.  As of
that report, 156 species was exceeded by only six of 48 states with
July Big Day records.  Four of those six are coastal states
(California, Maryland, Oregon and Texas).

--Apple-Mail-1-637286470

<smaller><smaller>Hi,

[...]

</smaller></smaller>
--Apple-Mail-1-637286470--