[mou] Piping & Snowy Plovers

Benjamin Fritchman fieldfare21@hotmail.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2006 18:17:28 -0500

I went down to see the Snowy Plovers today. As soon as we got past the elm
trees onto the sand, my mom pointed out a plover on the same spit we were
on. I put my scope up, and found it to be one of the Snowy Plovers. I
believe it was the male based on the darkness of its markings. We then
watched as it flew across the waterway and landed among the grass and rocks.
Soon it was joined by the two little ones. They soon dissapeared behind some
rocks, and we walked further on the spit. We found a somewhat early Ruddy
Turnstone frantically turning over rocks on the spit, but the Snowy Plovers
were not seen again. Thunder and lighting cut down our search time, and
being the tallest things out there, we decided to turn back and be satisfied
with our distant look at the little guys. Walking back, I noticed a very
light shorebird running around exactly where the Snowy had been not 15
minutes before. I assumed it was the Snowy again, and I put up my scope to
look at him again. I got the bird in my scope and realized that it was
actually a Piping Plover. Maybe this is the same bird that was present just
north of here in June? There aren't too many chances to see Snowy Plovers
and Piping Plovers together in the same vicinity in Minnesota. Maybe not
since a Snowy Plover was seen at Morris Point on Lake of the Woods on July
11-18, 1982, or Zippel Bay on July 28, 1983.

Ben Fritchman