[mou] Birding Blooper Story

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 11:48:35 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C6AF17.186245C0

My big birding blooper was back around 1980 or 1981 or so when I was =
co-leading a bird identification class with Kim Eckert. We stopped at =
Stoney Point near the old fish houses that over looked a small bay. =
There were quite a few loons in winter plumage in the bay and Kim asked =
me to scope them out to make sure there were all Common Loons. Kim came =
back to me and asked if they were all Common loons and I told him that =
they were all immature Common Loons.  Kim decided to do a quick scan of =
the loons and immediately Kim got all excited that one of the loons was =
a winter plumaged Yellow-billed Loon!  We all looked thru the scope to =
view the YB Loon and of course deep inside I felt embarrassed that I =
overlooked this loon as a Common Loon. I was a senior in high school or =
a freshman in college but that memory is still fresh in my mind.  I =
really learned a lesson about quickly scanning thru flocks of birds and =
assuming they all must be the same species of birds.

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C6AF17.186245C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>My big birding blooper was =
back around=20
1980 or 1981 or so when I was co-leading a bird identification class =
with Kim=20
Eckert. We stopped at Stoney Point near the old fish houses that over =
looked a=20
small bay. There were quite a few loons in winter plumage in the bay and =
Kim=20
asked me to scope them out to make sure there were all Common Loons. Kim =
came=20
back to me and asked if they were all Common loons and I told him that =
they were=20
all immature Common Loons.&nbsp; Kim decided to do a quick scan of the =
loons and=20
immediately Kim got all excited that one of the loons was a winter =
plumaged=20
Yellow-billed Loon!&nbsp; We all looked thru the scope to view the YB =
Loon and=20
of course deep inside I felt embarrassed that I overlooked this loon as =
a Common=20
Loon. I was a senior in high school or a freshman in college but that =
memory is=20
still fresh in my mind.&nbsp; I really learned a lesson about quickly =
scanning=20
thru flocks of birds and assuming they all must be the same species of=20
birds.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Michael =
Hendrickson<BR>Duluth,=20
Minnesota<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/">http://webpages.chart=
er.net/mmhendrickson/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C6AF17.186245C0--