[mou] MRVAC - Big Stone Lake State Park - July 23, 24, 25, 2006 - Trip Report

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan@msn.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:29:52 -0500

July 23, 24, 25, 2006

Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter
Big Stone Lake State Park
Field Trip Report
123 - species observed

Just returned from leading a trip to Big Stone and Lac Qui Parle Counties.
We were successful in refinding the previously reported Snowy Plovers & the
Clark's Grebe at Lake Thielke.  We also found at least five Least Bitterns
at the Big Stone NWR, pool number 4.  But we missed on the Common Moorhen
that had been previously reported from that location.  We found a few
locations with shorebirds, but the best location was Big Stone NWR.  Here
are some of the species that we were able to locate during the trip.

Eared Grebe - Salt Lake and Madison WMA, Lac Qui Parle County
Clark's Grebe - Thielke Lake, Big Stone county - We observed two adult
Clark's Grebes, both with young and associating with Western Grebes.
American Bittern - Big Stone NWR, we observed two American Bitterns in the
small pool on the North side of the driving tour, just south of the entrance
to the auto tour.
Least Bittern - Big Stone NWR, East side of CR 15, near road signed for an
old quarry.
Swainson's Hawk - Several were observed in Lac Qui Parle county.
Virginia Rail
Sora
16 species of Shorebirds, including one of the adult and two of the juvenile
Snowy Plovers.
Eurasian Collared Doves, were observed Milan, Appleton and heard in
Ortonville.  The birds in Milan were observed on the Grain elevator and the
birds in Appleton were seen and heard on Hwy 7, across the street from the
Cenex gas station.
Loggerhead Shrike - a pair of Loggerhead Shrikes were observed along the
North side of Hwy. 7, 3/10's of a mile east of Hwy. 75.
Henslow's Sparrow -Several birds were heard and we also had a distant look
at one.  This was at the Plover Prairie, in Lac Qui Parle county 2 miles
East of hwy. 75.

Craig Mandel, Minnetonka, MN
EgretCMan@msn.com