[mou] Painful parenting

Thomas Maiello thomas@angelem.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:45:21 -0500

It was only the relative silence of this morning that I could reel in
the cacophony of avian parenting and chick squawking that last week
filled the shrubs, trees and any open area in our garden - especially if
I was watering with a sprinkler.  The young birds are about the same
size as the adults for every species but with a much shorter yet crass
vocabulary - "Feed Me" in as few yet loud and penetrating sounds as
possible.

My Brown Thrashers are the proud parents of twins who make relatively
little noise when wanting to be fed other than maybe an attention
getting "craa".  The twins are true thrashers as the parenting grackles
try to bully them away and the little tikes attack forcefully and stand
their ground.  They don't just jester an attack, they jab full on to
vital parts of the encroaching grackle's body.  The parent thrashers are
too busy focusing on finding food to even give the grackles notice.  The
twins and one parent perform their feeding rituals right outside my
office window beneath the grape arbor - the young side by side, mouths
agape and an air of appreciation with every tidbit delivered.  The
parenting is a tedious task as the thrasher will pillage a small beak of
suet or peanut piece and offer it to the young, again and again.  I'm
exhausted just watching.

The Common Grackles parent singularly and seemed to think they owned the
yard for about a week.  Any intruder any where close to a youngster and
an entire flock of grackles amassed in the shrubs and overhead trees
"cheek"ing out their alarm calls and crowding in intimidation.  Several
times the noise was so deafening when our 16 year old, arthritic cat
lolled in the sun in "their" space - I had to turn the hose on them to
talk on the phone - even with the windows closed.  Before parenting,
they would allow me to shower them in the trees as a part of their
feather maintenance but now they flee it as the aggression it is - if
only to another tree branch.  As of late, they will also patronize my
waving arms and shrieks to shut up when they start up on me, by all
flying to the dead top of a tree and vocalize as a distant chorus of
clacks and cheeks.

The House Wren has tried several times and with several females to
propagate but to no apparent avail.  They are still trying as I see them
periodically gathering nesting materials again.  Same for the Cat Birds
apparently.

The Starlings are still the most put upon parents.  Their young issue an
irritating "craat" at a volume I am sure OSHA would find in painful
violation of noise ordinances.  And the young don't stop.  They appear
to heckle the much more slender and harried adult.  The other day I
watched as a young chick sat on a limb in a lilac bush and bellowed
incessantly as the adult searched continuously for food tidbits -
including wads of suet (not a very large mouthful of suet per carry
unfortunately I am afraid).  The adult would carry the tiny food prize
up to a limb just across from the child - the only perch available
without landing on the same branch as the demanding offspring.  But the
distance was just a little to far to be able to reach unless they both
coordinated leaning unbalanced and forward at the same moment.  It was
painful to watch the adult struggle again and again in the face of that
bellowing to hit the target while almost falling and flapping its wings
- bringing only louder bellows from the demanding chick.  My, what a
unappreciative look that exercise had.

I have never had children although I love being and playing and working
with them.  After watching the effort it takes to parent through the
actions of these birds and the human mothers of children who have graced
my life, all I can way is - Hi-Diddle-e-dee, a bachelor's life for me.
I guess my parenting years might be behind me.  I think I did miss out.

There are more stories about the Jays, the Robins, the Cardinals, the
finches, and the myriad other flyers who grace my space.  I am still
rewarded with an occasional flycatcher who continues to refuse to sing.
But don't get me started on the 32 squirrels and ground squirrels I have
transplanted across the river or those that I knew I missed but backed
off for a bit.   Now their babies are almost adult and do what they do
to try to empty my feeders and chase the birds.  The rabbits who I have
not yet managed to live trap are also proud parents and their babies
were so cute until they mowed down an entire open area I had covered
with sprouting sunflowers.  Now the adult is cropping my most delicate
and unique hostas.  It actually is only a game after all - isn't it.

I hope your backyard birding is a pleasurable as mine.  This truly is
heaven.

Thomas Maiello
Spring Lake Park