[mou] FW: FW: [mnbird] Possible Barn Owl Whitewater State Park

Joel Dunnette jdunnette@kmtel.com
Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:38:04 -0500

I got this information from Dave Palmquist, the naturalist at Whitewater SP.

In summary, no sightings for over 3 weeks.  They will let us know if they
see it again.

They would prefer to NOT have folks lurking after midnight.  For non-campers
the park closes at 10p.m.

Joel Dunnette

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Palmquist [mailto:Dave.Palmquist@dnr.state.mn.us]
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 3:24 PM
To: jdunnette@kmtel.com
Cc: Garry Barvels; Jerry Bachman
Subject: Re: FW: [mnbird] Possible Barn Owl Whitewater State Park

Joel,

The probable sightings, I'd say 95% chance, were at 2a.m. on Saturdays May
13 and 20.  They were made by our new night security person Ken.  He is a
taxidermist and quite knowledgeable about wildlife.  But, he did not know
the significance of these sightings when he told me of them two weeks after
the most recent sighting.  Both nights he saw the bird perched on the LP
tank at the park shop.  After talking with him about the sightings, I showed
him pictures of native owls to be sure.  He is positive that he saw a barn
owl both nights.  Since then, even though I encouraged him to look there
with greater frequency, he has not seen the bird.  I checked the buildings
in our shop complex for any possible nest, but found none.

At this time there is no reason to look for the owl as it hasn't been seen
for over three weeks.   In addition, we do not want groups of people
wandering the park in the middle of the night.  (For non-campers the park
closes at 10p.m.)  Night security staff will check the shop area multiple
time each night.  I will check after every evening program.  If it is seen
it again, I will let you know right away.  At this time please discourage
people from coming to try and see the bird.  Thanks!  Call if you have
questions.

Dave P.

>>> "Joel Dunnette" <jdunnette@kmtel.com> 6/15/2006 2:28 PM >>>
Dave,

  The Barn Owl would be a life bird for me and many others.  Can you tell me
details of where the bird has been seen?  Is it in a place that numerous
birders could come to see it?

Joel Dunnette

   _____