[mou] Unknown bird

Larry Sirvio lmsirvio@comcast.net
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 17:40:33 -0500

I went to Gray Cloud Island Dunes this morning. I've been there twice this
week since going with Julian Sellers and his group of 11 on Saturday. Partly
to see if I can id birds on my own and partly to test the Olympus WS-100
recorder that I bought yesterday. The recorder seems to be ok. It does
record higher frequencies than the old recorder. I did get the grasshopper
sparrow but not close enough to get a clean audio (too much background
noise). That's to be expected with this kind of inexpensive recorder.

The help I need is this:
I saw a bird that looked oriole size - completely black head with the black
extending down through the throat area (top and bottom of the head). The
black head ended cleanly giving a black hood appearance. The entire bottom
of the bird was bright yellow. That's all I can describe for sure. I think
the wings were black but I can't be sure.
I've seen the first year male orchard oriole in the area and it is not him.
the unknown bird sort of looked like the adult orchard oriole if instead of
the brick red body it was bright yellow.
Is it possible that at some stage of development the orchard oriole male
could look like this.
He was in a cottonwood tree near the rr tracks for those who know the area.
I made a recording of some unknown song after he flew up into the tree and
out of view if anyone cares to listen. I can't even guarantee that it is the
mystery bird but it's all I have.

I even went back this afternoon to see if I could see it again but no luck.

Larry Sirvio