[mou] Black-throated Green Warbler, Murphy-Hanrehan

Bruce Fall bafall@umn.edu
Sun, 25 Jun 2006 22:47:29 -0500

On 24 and 25 June there was a singing male Black-throated Green =20
Warbler at Murphy-Hanrehan Park, Dakota Co. I first found him 200 =20
yards SSE of trail marker #9 on 24 June (morning). By that afternoon =20
he had moved 350 yds. NE, where he remained through 25 June (mid =20
afternoon). This location is 100 yds. NW of marker #6, where he =20
appears to have established a territory.

Those who saw the cooperative and conspicuous male Hooded Warbler =20
that sang so frequently near the trail south of marker #13 may be =20
interested to know that he eventually did attract a mate and they =20
have a nest. Unfortunately they are raising two cowbird young, which =20
should fledge in about 2-3 days. All three Hooded Warbler nests I=92ve =20=

found so far this year were doubly parasitized: one fledged two =20
cowbirds last week, and another has two cowbird eggs and one warbler =20
egg.

Bruce A. Fall
Minneapolis