[mou] Hooded Warbler - Battle Creek Park, Ramsey Co.

Julian Sellers JulianSellers@msn.com
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 15:56:57 -0500

Pursuant to the Maistroviches' mention of a female Hooded Warbler, I went to
Battle Creek Park today to look for evidence of nesting.  I found no
evidence.  I did not see or hear any Hooded Warblers in the southern part of
the park, so I walked up the hill and through the woods to check on the one
that had been singing near the north end of the woods.  I did not see or
hear one at the north end either, but on the way, I heard one sing briefly
near the center of the hilltop forest.  This was all between about 9:00 and
11:00 a.m.

Then I drove a half-mile east on Lower Afton Road to the woods of Battle
Creek Park East, and walked there until about 12:45.  At 12:30, I heard a
Hooded Warbler sing the typical wee ta-wee ta-wee-ti-tew song about four
times.  The location was as follows:  from the parking lot on Lower Afton
Road, take the paved trail north from the northwest corner of the lot (go
past the start of the trail to the off-leash dog area).  After you go north
a few hundred yards, the paved trail bends to the left, and a dirt trail
goes straight ahead.  Take the dirt trail for a little over 100 yards until
a trail goes off to the right.  It was from this trail intersection that I
heard the Hooded Warbler singing pretty far away on the right while a
Broad-winged Hawk was screaming its disapproval from overhead.

Next year, I hope to check all of Battle Creek Park earlier in June (and
earlier in the day).

Julian
St. Paul