[mou] Upper Misssissippi Refuge Fish & Wildlife Refuge birding, Pools 8 & 9

fred lesher corax6330@yahoo.com
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:37:15 -0800 (PST)

Viewed Feb.28 from Minn.& Iowa (LaCrescent, Minn. to
Harper's Ferry, Iowa):

Greater White-fronted Goose---38---Pool Slough, New
Albin, IA

Snow Goose---1---Pool Slough, New Albin

Canvasback---1---Heytman's Station, Allamakee Co. IA

Canada Goose

Ring-n. Duck---Heytman's Station

C. Goldeneye

C. Merganser

Bald Eagle---numerous and pair at nest

No. Harrier---1

Cooper's Hawk---1---Allamakee Co.

Peregrine Falcon---1---Dam 7 south of Dresbach, Minn,
perched on a crane boom at the east side of the main
channel roller dam. Viewed from L&D 7 lock observation
platform. Strictly speaking,in Wisconsin 100 yards or
less, and about 1/3 mile SE of the falcon nest box
visible with difficulty from I90 on Spirit Bluff
(south of Dresbach) in Minnesota. The box is visible
from the observation platform.

Peregrine Falcon---1---Perched on the nestbox on the
bluff a few hundred yards SE of the Lansing, IA power
plant smoke stack. Very dark "helmet" and heavy lower
lateral belly streaks.

Sandhill Crane---1---Pool Slough at New Albin, IA,
north of Army Rd. and about 200 yards south of the
IA/MN border, as best as I could tell.

gull, sp.---1 only

Belted Kingfisher---1,F

Horned Lark---1 only

Cedar Waxwing---2---perched among & blending with
American Beech tree leaves in our yard (in Wisconsin).
Absolutely motionless and well camouflaged as dusk
approached. We have observed roosting waxwings in this
tree previous winters.

Fred Lesher
LaCrosse, Wis.