[mou] Owl Prowl

Steve Weston sweston2@comcast.net
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 00:27:32 -0600

The MRVAC Owl Prowl today had ten participants plus myself in each of the
two parts.  Starting at 4:30pm we headed down to Goodhue Co.  where we found
the Snowy Owl just south of CR9 and CR1 on a pole by the road.  The bird
flew out into a field where it sat allowing everyone a great view.  From
there we went east through Bellchester to look for the Short-eared Owls
Arriving at the "Owl Fields" just after 6pm and looked for the owls.  As the
dusk deepened we finally found two dancing like moths in the fields to the
north of where we were standing (CR16 and about 338th) at the top of the
hill just east of where the Martins saw them.   With their late flight, not
everyone was able to beat the poor lighting and spot the birds..

The second part of the prowl was after dark, calling owls at a couple of
spots in Dakota County.  The owls were not cooperative, a no satisfactory
ID's were made.  One Long-eared Owl was possibly calling, but the call was
too brief.

Other birds seen earlier in the day included a couple of Coots and a Redhead
at 140th St. marsh.

Given that I had to turn away several who wanted to join the group to keep
the size managible, I decided to book another owl prowl next Saturday.
Again, I will limit participation to ten.If you want to join us for owl
experience on March 11th, drop me an e-mail.

sweston2@comcast.net