[mou] Wilkin Co Prairie Falcon

patrick.beauzay@ndsu.edu patrick.beauzay@ndsu.edu
Sun, 19 Mar 2006 15:52:53 -0600 (CST)

Greetings,

This afternoon at Rothsay WMA, I had an adult prairie falcon soaring
overhead.  It put on quite a display of aerial acrobatics, climbing
perhaps fifty feet and then tucking and rolling, pulling out of the dive
and then climbing again.  I watched the falcon do this for about five
minutes, until it decided to end the show and fly off to the north.  The
exact location: 1/2 mile north of the junction of Wilkin CR 176 (190th)
and Wilkin CR 15 (208th).

Other highlights for the day:

Rough-legged hawk -- 57 counted around Rothsay WMA.  I saw a RL chasing an
American kestrel, but the kestrel easily evaded the pursuit and the hawk
gave up after about 30 seconds.

Adult golden eagle -- Clay Co. about 3E and 1N of Buffalo River SP.
Northern shrike -- Ottertail Co. 1N of Pelican Rapids on US59.

Many horned larks, a very few lapland longspurs, and one small flock of
snow buntings in Clay Co. near Felton.

Good Birding!

Pat

Patrick Beauzay