[mou] LaCrosse - Glaucous-Winged Gull Still Here 3/34/06 12:15 pm

Dan Jackson danielejackson@earthlink.net
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:27:44 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C64F4F.1E75DFD0

I was able to refind the Glaucous-Winged Gull on Richmond Bay on the North
Side of LaCrosse over the noon hour today.  The gull flock was close to the
landing at the end Goddard Place.  I spotted the bird along a stretch of
open water on the far shore about 150 yards northeast of the landing.  This
is among this bird's favorite hangouts.  I have seen the bird in that
general area more often then anywhere else.  There is a blue barrel on that
shoreline as a point of reference.

Bill and Anita Doering and I also found an adult Lesser Black-Backed Gull
and an adult Thayer's Gull on the Black River behind the Kentucky Fried
Chicken restaurant on Hwy 53 (Rose Street) around 12:45.  This is located
about 1 mile south of I-90 and north of Clinton Street.  The best place to
scope gulls in this area is from the back side of the Midway Best Western
Hotel just south of the Kentucky Fried chicken.  If you turn into the
hotel's parking lot, you can go around the building on the north side and
then park next to a dumpster at the back of the hotel and view the river.
The Lesser Black-Backed Gull was seen from this spot yesterday as well.

Another loafing spot is on the Black River Beach.  This is located south of
the Kentucky Fried Chicken location and just north of the intersection of
Rose (Hwy 53) and Clinton Streets.  We haven't found any specialties there
yet this year, but have in past years.

I noticed that gulls are also resting on the ice above I-90.  The best place
to view these birds is from Fisherman's road on the east side of the
LaCrosse airport.  From I-90, turn off at the airport exit and head north
toward the airport.  Instead of turning left on Fanta Reed to reach the
terminal, go straight toward the private hangers and control tower.  Turn
right on Fisherman's road and follow it until it turns north (near a beach).
Gulls often hang out on the beach or on the water and ice opposite the
beach.  If you follow this road farther north, you will also see the dike
and spillway at the lower end of Lake Onalaska.  Gulls are starting to use
the ice above the spillway as another loafing spot.

A flock of gulls has also been found on the other side of French island
above the dike at the end of Spillway Drive.  This can be reached by going
past the airport on Fanta Reed and then turning north at the stop sign
(Lakeshore Drive).  Turn left on Spillway Drive (2nd intersection) and
follow it out to the boat landing at the base of the dike.  This is also a
great spot to check out diver ducks.

Good Birding,
Dan Jackson
Chaseburg, Vernon County, Wisconsin, USA
(Near LaCrosse, WI)
<http://community.webshots.com/user/danielejackson>

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C64F4F.1E75DFD0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
6.5.7036.0">
<TITLE>LaCrosse - Glaucous-Winged Gull Still Here 3/34/06 12:15 =
pm</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I was able to refind the =
Glaucous-Winged Gull on Richmond Bay on the North Side of LaCrosse over =
the noon hour today.&nbsp; The gull flock was close to the landing at =
the end Goddard Place.&nbsp; I spotted the bird along a stretch of open =
water on the far shore about 150 yards northeast of the landing.&nbsp; =
This is among this bird's favorite hangouts.&nbsp; I have seen the bird =
in that general area more often then anywhere else.&nbsp; There is a =
blue barrel on that shoreline as a point of reference.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Bill and Anita Doering and I also found =
an adult Lesser Black-Backed Gull and an adult Thayer's Gull on the =
Black River behind the Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant on Hwy 53 (Rose =
Street) around 12:45.&nbsp; This is located about 1 mile south of I-90 =
and north of Clinton Street.&nbsp; The best place to scope gulls in this =
area is from the back side of the Midway Best Western Hotel just south =
of the Kentucky Fried chicken.&nbsp; If you turn into the hotel's =
parking lot, you can go around the building on the north side and then =
park next to a dumpster at the back of the hotel and view the =
river.&nbsp; The Lesser Black-Backed Gull was seen from this spot =
yesterday as well.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Another loafing spot is on the Black =
River Beach.&nbsp; This is located south of the Kentucky Fried Chicken =
location and just north of the intersection of Rose (Hwy 53) and Clinton =
Streets.&nbsp; We haven't found any specialties there yet this year, but =
have in past years.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I noticed that gulls are also resting =
on the ice above I-90.&nbsp; The best place to view these birds is from =
Fisherman's road on the east side of the LaCrosse airport.&nbsp; From =
I-90, turn off at the airport exit and head north toward the =
airport.&nbsp; Instead of turning left on Fanta Reed to reach the =
terminal, go straight toward the private hangers and control =
tower.&nbsp; Turn right on Fisherman's road and follow it until it turns =
north (near a beach).&nbsp; Gulls often hang out on the beach or on the =
water and ice opposite the beach.&nbsp; If you follow this road farther =
north, you will also see the dike and spillway at the lower end of Lake =
Onalaska.&nbsp; Gulls are starting to use the ice above the spillway as =
another loafing spot.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">A flock of gulls has also been found on =
the other side of French island above the dike at the end of Spillway =
Drive.&nbsp; This can be reached by going past the airport on Fanta Reed =
and then turning north at the stop sign (Lakeshore Drive).&nbsp; Turn =
left on Spillway Drive (2nd intersection) and follow it out to the boat =
landing at the base of the dike.&nbsp; This is also a great spot to =
check out diver ducks.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Good Birding,</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Dan Jackson</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Times =
New Roman"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Chaseburg, Vernon County, =
Wisconsin, USA</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman"><BR>
</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">(Near LaCrosse, WI)</FONT><FONT =
FACE=3D"Times New Roman"><BR>
<U></U></FONT><U><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">&lt;</FONT></U><A =
HREF=3D"http://community.webshots.com/user/danielejackson"><U></U><U><FON=
T COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">http://community.webshots.com/user/danielejackson</FONT></=
U></A><U><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">&gt;</FONT></U><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT>=20
</P>
<BR>

</BODY>
</HTML>