Fwd: Re: [mou] paying to use state wildlife land

Chad Heins odunamis@yahoo.com
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:24:27 -0800 (PST)

Fellow birders,

I think that there are enough opportunities for
birders to be involved with land acquisition and
conservation for birds.  I'm sure many of the
subscribers of this list are members of the Nature
Conservancy, National Wildlife Federation, Audubon
Society, etc...  Some of these organizations buy and
manage land for wildlife including birds.  Others are
more focused on education and legislation.  Many of us
probably buy duck stamps annually (heck, some of us
may even shoot birds).

It is one thing to say "Everyone should support
conservation efforts for birds."  It is quite another
to say "Everyone must support conservation efforts for
birds..or will be fined."  I, for one, would prefer to
remain free to make that decision for myself.  I will
continue to promote bird conservation through my
membership in conservation-minded organizations,
regular use of state and national parks, and through
private donations.

I hope the rest of you find some means to supporting
bird conservation in your own little way.

Chad Heins
Mankato

P.S.  Politics seems like a dangerous topic for this
listserv.