[mou] Open Space

runbic runbic@comcast.net
Sat, 25 Mar 2006 21:46:52 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C65055.A0EE6CA0

This may be a diversion from the Duck Stamp issue, but not a diversion =
from the desired result.  The issue is open space preservation, which =
will provide, among other things, habitat for birds and birding =
opportunities.

Open space referendums to buy and preserve open space  have been on =
ballots in the past, present and future.  Some are successful, some not. =
We have been fortunate to have past two such referendums where I live =
(Woodbury).  I believe we got it done because the local athletic =
association provide strong support. Obviously, we provided them with an =
incentive. What was missing was any organized support from birding, =
environmental, etc organizations that should have been involved.

I believe that we and all interested groups need to have an organized =
effort in open space issues.  It can be as simple as a letter to the =
editor stating that organization X supports this issue.  So, get =
involved if your city, county, etc shows interest in open space. These =
comments are intended to add to the Duck Stamp program, not replace it =
for birders.

Jim Gay
Woodbury, MN
------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C65055.A0EE6CA0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This&nbsp;may be a&nbsp;diversion from =
the Duck=20
Stamp issue, but not a diversion from the desired result.&nbsp; The =
issue is=20
open space preservation, which will provide, among other =
things,&nbsp;habitat=20
for birds and birding opportunities.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Open space referendums to buy and =
preserve open=20
space&nbsp; have been on ballots in the past, present and future.&nbsp; =
Some are=20
successful, some not. We have been fortunate to have past two such =
referendums=20
where&nbsp;I live (Woodbury).&nbsp; I believe we got it done =
because&nbsp;the=20
local athletic association provide strong support. Obviously, we =
provided=20
them&nbsp;with an incentive. What was missing was any organized support =
from=20
birding, environmental, etc organizations that should have been=20
involved.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I believe that we and all interested =
groups need to=20
have an organized effort in open space issues.&nbsp; It can be as simple =
as a=20
letter to the editor stating that organization X supports this =
issue.&nbsp; So,=20
get involved if your city, county, etc shows interest in open space. =
These=20
comments are intended to add to the Duck Stamp program, not replace it =
for=20
birders.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jim Gay</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Woodbury, MN</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01C65055.A0EE6CA0--