[mou] Western MN birds

Jeff & Amy Drake jadrake@arvig.net
Sat, 06 May 2006 21:18:04 -0500

I was able to spend a wonderful day of birding alone today.  I was
unable to locate either the White-faced Ibis in the area of Copeland
State WMA (SW of Fergus Falls) or the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher near
Downer (Clay Co.).

I did, however, find:  2 Western Grebes, Ruddy Ducks(>20), a Canvasback,
Sharp-tailed sparrows, Wilson's Phalarope, Greater & Lesser Yellowlegs,
Sora Rails, 2 Marbled Godwits, and what I'm pretty sure were many Marsh
Wrens.  All of which were new for me.

Other birds seen during today's travels include:

Coots
>50 White Pelicans (W. on 150th ~2mi. from Hwy 25 S. of Fergus Falls)
Blue-winged Teal
Mallards
DC Cormorants
Lesser Scaup
Harriers
Northern Shovelers
Redhead ducks
Great-horned owls
Yellow-headed blackbirds
Red-winged blackbirds
Brewer's blackbirds
Robins
Morning Doves
plain 'ol pigeons
Kestrels
Common Grackles
Tree Swallows
Barn Swallows
Great Blue Heron
Great Egrets
Brown Thrashers
Red-tail hawk
Horned Larks
Meadowlarks
Killdeer
Sandhill Cranes (Copeland WMA)
Pheasants
2 Trumpeter Swans (at the corner of cty.33 & cty.112 east of Felton)
Greater Prairie Chicken (near the corner of cty.34 & cty.33 E. of
Felton)
Bluebird