[mou] Hok-si-la (Goodhue Co.) trip report

Steve Weston sweston2@comcast.net
Sat, 6 May 2006 23:38:17 -0500

This morning 9 participants met for the 40th annual MRVAC Hok-si-la Warbler
weekend.  We found approx. 57 speciesof birds, including the Summer tanager
mentioned elsewhere.   Good weather, good company, and good birds made for a
thoroughly enjoable day,  Other species of interested included:

Six sp of warblers: Yellow Rumped, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Blue-winged
Warbler, N. Parulua,  C. Yellowthroat, N. Waterthrush
Broad-winged Hawk,
Caspian Tern
Forsters Tern
Cliff Swallow
Soitary & Spotted Sandpipers
Swainsons Thrush

In addition I found several more species at stops in Dakota Co. on the way
back, including:
Dunlin (3-4) and 50+ Yellowlegs along 190th off of Biscayne.  2 more lesser
Yellowlegs were the only shorebirds found at Jirik Sod Farms.

Lastly, at a camp fire that my next door neighbor held to celebrate the
beautiful day, a Barred Owl landed in a tree about ten feet from the fire
circle, before taking to the air out over our lake.

sweston2@comcast.net