[mou] MRVAC - Carver Park Reserve - Field Trip Report - 5/8/2006

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan@msn.com
Mon, 8 May 2006 22:56:13 -0500

May 8, 2006

Led a trip to Carver Park Reserve and also extended it further into Carver
and parts of Hennepin County.  Our group observed 94 species, for the day.
The highlight of the day was observed by Kathy Kinghorn at the pond on CR 30
and Highway 5.  While watching, 10 Cattle Egrets and a single Snowy Egret,
Kathy spotted a second Snowy Egret.  Both of the Snowy Egrets were then
observed feeding along the NE corner of the pond.  This was at about
10:00am.  The Cattle Egrets were also observed feeding on the Grassy hill
side on the East Side of CR 30.  There were not great numbers of any of the
birds we observed, but we did get some nice looks at 7 species of Warblers,
including a Blue-winged Warbler.  The Bobolinks are also back at the park.
Here were some of the species of birds observed by the group:

@ Trumpeter Swan
@ Snowy Egret - Cr 30 & Hwy. 5 pond
@ Cattle Egret - Cr 30 & Hwy. 5 pond
@ Virginia Rail - Heard only, along the Oak trail in Carver park
@ American Golden Plover - Hennepin County - CR 92, just North of the
intersection with CR 110.  This area is about a Mile North of St Bonifacius.
With continued rain this area could be a good spot for shorebirds in
Hennepin county.
@ Long-billed Dowitcher - same spot as the American Golden Plover's
@ Sedge Wren - Observed along the horse trail accessed from Carver Park
Road, just East of the King Blind.