[mou] Tree species and migrants

Derric Pennington penn0107@umn.edu
Tue, 9 May 2006 09:59:41 -0500

Hello Fellow Birdheads-

Its great to see migration finally blossoming (so to speak) in our
area.  I am a PhD candidate in the Conservation Biology Program at
the University of Minnesota studying the stopover ecology of
landbirds.  I am very interested in hearing fellow birders'
observations regarding what tree species migrants are located in
during migration.  One of the primary hypotheses regarding what
constitutes quality stopover habitat during migration is food
availability.  Some researchers have suggested that particular tree
species may be more likely to have higher insect/caterpillar
abundance than other species.  The mechanism behind this is possibly
leaf-bud timing for particular tree species, which has evolved with
invertebrates that feed on fresh plant growth.  Consequently, these
tree species may also be the best suited for a bird looking to refuel
during its migration to breeding grounds.

I would appreciate hearing your observations over the next few
weeks.  It would be great to get a larger snapshot of what's
occurring across our landscape. If you would like to send an
observation just include the following: date of observation, place
(town or other specific place name), species observed, and the tree
species where the bird was observed foraging or singing.

As for myself, I have been observing several canopy migrants making
use of American Elm trees located along Minnehaha Creek.

Thanks for your help and good luck birding!!

Derric Pennington
PhD Candidate
Conservation Biology Program
University of Minnesota
ph: 612-624-4796
penn0107@umn.edu

"I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with
forethought of grief... For a time I rest in the grace of the world,
and am free." --Wendell Berry

"People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a
confession of character." --Ralph Waldo Emerson