[mou] snowy owl

robert.oconnor@ndsu.edu robert.oconnor@ndsu.edu
Fri, 12 May 2006 16:40:49 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

I drove the Longspur Road at the Felton Prairie a few hours after Connie
Norheim found a Henslow's Sparrow near  the buffalo rubbing rock, and
though I missed the sparrow, I was amazed to see a Snowy Owl sitting close
to the lek east of the road.  It remained unperturbed as I got telescopic
looks at it from about a hundred yards away.  It was a very white
individual and seemed intent on finding a fat, careless prairie-chicken.
As you might guess, there wasn't any dancing going on.

I also had four Sandhill Cranes (a half mile south of 34 along Clay County
27) and Loggerhead Shrikes at two traditional locations (to the south of
26 as it ascends the ridge line from MN 9 and just south of the terminus
of 108 where it branches into two gravel roads).

Bob O'Connor
Moorhead