[mou] Todd County Hybrid Cinnamon Teal

Benjamin Fritchman fieldfare21@hotmail.com
Fri, 12 May 2006 19:01:45 -0500

Today I got a call about a Cinnamon Teal in Todd County at the Eagle Bend
Sewage Ponds. I arrived there this evening, and in the rain and wind I
refound the Teal. At first glance it appeared to be a Cinnamon Teal, but
after I set up my scope, I started to see things that didn't fit a pure
individual. There was a slight patch of white in front of the eye that
seemed to form a moon shape like a Blue-winged Teal would have, but not as
obvious as a BW Teal's would be. Also, the bird seemed to have the overall
shape of a blue-winged, with a bill that was smaller than I would expect on
a Cinnamon Teal. Also, it was overcast, and the bird was far away, but it
appeared as if there were small black dots along its sides, but I couldn't
tell for sure. There was no white spot on the flanks/rear where a
Blue-winged teal would have one. Tomorrow I'm hoping for better weather so I
can get a better look at it.
I fear my first non-regular in Todd will have to wait until yet another day.

Ben Fritchman
-Finally done with finals and back in Long Prairie for the summer!