[mou] Back yard cacophony

Thomas Maiello thomas@angelem.com
Mon, 15 May 2006 13:02:09 -0500

Birded my back yard this morning and the bird call cacophony was
deafening!  I have two mimics apparently dueling out their "proud to be
a father" doublets and triplets - Brown Thrashers and Catbirds.  It
sounds like every bird that resides nearby is calling as loud as
possible to be heard over the others.  In the midst are occasional
warbler songs that I can only catch a few bars before they are drowned out.

Does anyone have or heard any reports on the Lake Pepin events and what
birds were seen?  I was locally tied and couldn't make it.  Any warbler
waves?

On the humorous side - with all the talk of odd birds at the jelly
feeders - I dreamed that the hummingbirds finally made it back to Spring
Lake Park and were feasting on the nectar in my numerous hummer
feeders.  As I reveled in their arrival in my dream, they were joined
and challenged by hovering Robins and a Scarlet Tanager.  The larger
birds were hovering their wings just like the hummers only with  louder
"hums".  I woke up almost laughing at the image.  Can you imagine a
Scarlet Tanager zooming slow approaches and withdrawals and hovering
around a hummingbird feeder?  Wow - what a sight!

Thomas Maiello
Spring Lake Park