[mou] Cattle Egret (140th Marsh - Dakota) and Dunlin (Bass Ponds - Hennepin)

Derek Bakken spottedtowhee@gmail.com
Thu, 25 May 2006 22:24:53 -0500

Hello,

I got a chance to go out after work today with a co-volunteer at the
Raptor Center and recheck a spot at Bass Ponds where I saw 7 species of
shorebird Wednesday night.  Today I saw 8 species (Dunlin, Least
Sandpiper, Baird's Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs, Killdeer, Semi Plover,
White-Rumped Sandpiper, and Spotted Sandpiper).  The great thing is
that you can get within about 30 yards of the birds and get some great
looks at them feeding.

To find the spot to view them, follow the interpretive trail and you
will find a well worn foot path leading down towards Long Meadow Lake
about halfway between markers number 6 and 7.  The path is only about
30 yards long and you should be able to see the shallow water and mud
(hopefully with birds in it) just in front of you.

After that we headed down to 140th street marsh

https://home.comcast.net/~derekbakken/birding/140th.jpg

No shorebirds and nothing of interest at first except two Great Egrets.
  However, a few minutes later a much smaller white bird flew in and
landed on a post in the water.  Checked it with the scope and it was an
obvious Cattle Egret in breeding plumage.  It flew from the post and
landed along the weeds just off 140th street.  I was able to get some
good photos from the road.  The bird was still there when we left at
7:00pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dobak/153381926/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dobak/153381927/

Derek Bakken