[mou] Louisville Swamp NWR 5-26-06

Neil Wingert neilwingert@mn.rr.com
Sun, 28 May 2006 09:54:24 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C6823C.B6B1EBC0

Louisville Swamp NWR (south of Shakopee west of highway 169) on Friday, =
May
26.  Encountered 53 species, but not much evidence of migration in =
progress.
Mosquito season, however, was well underway but hasn't reached the =
"can't
breathe without a head net" stage.  Went from the parking area down the =
long
straight road along the property line until it reaches the water, which
still blocks the trail.  Kingbirds, catbirds and rose-breasted grosbeaks
provided delights down this path.  Prothonotary, yellow, yellowthroat
warblers, and house wrens were abundant - especially near the water.
Continued to the left on the Mazomani trail into the savanah oak section =
-
many indigo buntings and baltimore orioles. Special treats: eastern =
towhee,
red-headed woodpecker and a (heard-only) black-billed cuckoo.  In the =
open
field and shrub areas, I was delighted to see field sparrows and several
(nesting?) blue-winged warblers.  Between the weekend rain and working =
too
much, I missed most of the spring migration, but this was a May day to
remember.
=20
Neil Wingert, Chaska

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C6823C.B6B1EBC0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<TITLE>Message</TITLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2873" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D265142914-28052006>Louisville Swamp NWR=20
(south of Shakopee west of highway 169) on Friday, May 26.&nbsp; =
Encountered 53=20
species, but not much evidence of migration in progress.&nbsp; Mosquito =
season,=20
however, was well underway but hasn't reached the "can't breathe without =
a head=20
net" stage.&nbsp; Went from the parking area down the long straight road =
along=20
the property line until it reaches the water, which still blocks the=20
trail.&nbsp; Kingbirds, catbirds and rose-breasted grosbeaks provided =
delights=20
down this path.&nbsp; Prothonotary, yellow, yellowthroat warblers,=20
and&nbsp;house wrens were abundant - especially near the water.&nbsp; =
Continued=20
to the left on the Mazomani trail into the savanah oak section - many=20
indigo&nbsp;buntings and baltimore orioles.&nbsp;Special treats: eastern =
towhee,=20
red-headed woodpecker and a (heard-only) black-billed cuckoo. &nbsp;In=20
the&nbsp;open field and shrub areas, I was delighted to see field =
sparrows and=20
several (nesting?) blue-winged warblers.&nbsp; Between the weekend rain =
and=20
working too much, I missed most of the spring migration, but this was a =
May day=20
to remember.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D265142914-28052006></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D265142914-28052006>Neil =
Wingert,=20
Chaska</SPAN></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C6823C.B6B1EBC0--