[mou] Mink in wood duck houses

Rick fholbrook@cableone.net
Tue, 30 May 2006 21:52:15 -0500

--------------000700040701030301010205

Mark Palas wrote:

> My father who lives in Pine county,  told me that he saw a mink climb
> a tree and enter one of his wood duck
> boxes this week.    He said the mink was in the box for about 5
> minutes before exiting.  The mink returned a few
> hours later and reentered.  Our assumption,  was that the mink had
> killed the female,  and was feeding on her or her
> eggs.  Our plan is to install guards for next years birds.  I'd be
> interested in hearing anyones comments on keeping
> mink out of wood duck houses.
>
> Mark Palas

You might try wrapping "Crazy Carpet" around the tree.  It is the
plastic snow rider that kids use--can be found in toy stores.
I found this information on the web.  The information was compiled from
the " Nest Box Guide for  Waterfowl" by Ducks Unlimited.

--

Rick
Fargo, ND

--------------000700040701030301010205