[mou] Steve Yahn hummingbird

Kim R Eckert kreckert@cpinternet.com
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:00:53 -0600

Unless I missed it, I'm surprised that no one has posted a comment on
mou-net on the ID of Steve Yahn's hummingbird. My intitial opinion was
that it is an Anna's Hummingbird, and when I showed the photos to
others I saw recently in Texas at the Harlingen birding festival
(including ID experts Paul Lehman and Michael O'Brien), they concurred
in that ID.

Its lack of rufous or buff tones on the flanks should preclude Calliope
and the genus Selasphorus (Rufous, Allen's, and Broad-tailed), and its
evenly spaced primaries of equal width would eliminate the genus
Archilochus (Ruby-throated and Black-chinned). This leaves the genus
Calypte (Anna's and Costa's): the primary tips falling short of the
tail tip favors Anna's and tends to eliminate the shorter-tailed
Costa's (whose folded primary tips normally extend beyond the tail).

Of course, its identity will be confirmed by the specimen, with the
record evaluated by the MOU Records Committee.

- Kim Eckert