[mou] Starling Mimicry

Pastor Al Schirmacher PastorAl@PrincetonFreeChurch.net
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:33:54 -0600

Now that species numbers are dwindling (and my son is posting the Saturday
"goodies" before I do), one is forced to observe and comment on behavior
(chuckle of heavy irony).

Have had two Starling mimic calls this week already:  Eastern Meadowlark
(not unusual nor particularly well done today) &  Eastern Pewee (that's a
personal first - very well done).  Wonder how many different birds they can
imitate?

Most unusual over the years was a Pine Siskin ascending call, done so well
that I searched the trees for it just north of Milwaukee.

Your experiences?

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties

(Marveling over the YB Loon sighting by an excellent birding couple in
central Wisconsin this afternoon)