[mou] Three-toed Woodpecker - St Louis Cty

Joel Claus jclaus13@msn.com
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 23:06:45 -0600

Sorry about the belated report - just got back to my computer today!

On Tuesday the 14th, I saw an American Three-toed Woodpecker from my deer
stand in Northern St Louis Cty.  The bird spent the most of the afternoon
working at flaking away the bark from a dying Balsam Fir 10 yards from where
my stand was located.

The location of the brid was east of Cty Rd 361 and north of Hwy 1 in
Northern St Lousi Cty approximatlely 12 miles west of Tower.   The GPS
coordinates were N47 46.864, W092 29.394.  This is about a 30 minute hike in
from 361.

Several trees in the area had quite a bit of bark missing so this bird could
have been present for some time.  The trees were on an upland ridge of
mature aspen and balsams with a large spruce bog a few hundred yards away.
I've seen Black-backed Woodpeckers many times over the years in the area but
this was the first Three-toed.  I also saw the bird again briefly on
Wednesday the 15th.

Small numbers of Pine Grosbeaks were in the area and Grey Jays seemed to be
present in their usual numbers around our camp.

Joel Claus
Eden Prairie