[mou] Gray Jays and Global Warming

Shelley Steva crossbill7200@yahoo.com
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:07:20 -0800 (PST)

 In the most recent issue of Natural History, I read
about a study done on the distribution of gray jays in
Southern Ontario. It said that the gray jay numbers
have dropped by half in the last twenty years or so
and that the gray jay nests now produce fewer
offspring.
   The reason? The falls are now warmer. All the foods
that the gray jays would cache to help keep them fed
in the fall and winter are now rotting because of the
warm falls (it is an average of 5 degrees warmer in
the fall than it used to be). The gray jays no longer
have the food supply they need for their nesting
habit. (they prefer to nest in the late winter).
   I have no idea if this is related to the recent
irruption or not, but it is both interesting and sad.

Shelley Steva
Thief River Falls

Sponsored Link

Online degrees - find the right program to advance your career.
Www.nextag.com