[mou] Tufted Titmouse, present and past?

Jesse Ellis jme29@cornell.edu
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:36:28 -0800

While I won't argue whether these to sighting mean global warming is
or isn't happening, I'd be curious to hear from those with access to
long-term records about the former status of each of these species
(Tufted Titmouse and Carolina Wren) in southern Minnesota.  I recall
my father (from Mankato) talking about HIS father (my grandfather)
talking about Tufted Titmice at their feeders way back when.  While I
can't vouch for my grandfather's bird ID, I do know he spent a fair
amount of time out of doors, and I'd argue that Titmice are a bit
difficult to MIS-ID if you have them at a feeder.  I have no idea if
this was a constant occurrence or basically just a few sightings.  My
understanding of them in Ithaca, NY, is that while Titmice are a bit
hardier, both expand and contract ranges locally with the severity of
the winter, implying that Ithaca is right on the edge of their ranges.

Anyone here with access to records care to shed light on these?

Bill, it will be interesting to see if your pair of Wrens survive the winter...

Jesse Ellis
Seattle WA (by way of Saint Paul and Ithaca, NY)