[mou] Important! Directions to Cloquet Gray-crowned Rosy Finches

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:27:52 -0600

Information forwarded with permission of original poster of Rosy-finch=20
sighting - Mike Schrage:

There are at least 3 birds.  They are quite approachable, but please
stay away at least 75 feet to avoid stressing them.  They were first
spotted on the morning of the 27th on the old sunflowers in front of our
office.  They've been here each morning since.  I took the photos this
morning.

We don't have a feeder although we plan to spread some seed to keep them
around.  So far they've been foraging on the old sunflowers.

Directions:
Interstate 35 north to Hwy 33 (Cloquet/Iron Range exit).  Go north on
Hwy=20
33
to the second light in Cloquet.  There is a Pizza Hut and Super One at=20
that
intersection.  Go left onto County Rd. 7 also called Big Lake Rd.  Go=20
about
3 miles on Big Lake to the intersection with County Rd. 5.  To the right

its
called Brevator Rd., to the left its called University Rd.  Go left onto
University towards the Cloquet Forestry Center.  Go about 100 yards and=20
look
for the single story blue building on the left.  This is the Fond du Lac
Resource Management Division office.  Our tribal equivalent of the DNR.=20
The
birds have been on the sunflowers on the right side of the building as
you
face it from the parking lot.  This is a working office building and we=20
have
lots of employees and visitors.  Please be respectful.  Its okay to come

and
look and ask questions.  The staff and the compound security has been
alerted we might get birder traffic

An image of one of the birds that Mike Schrage took is available at:

http://naturepixels.com/rosy_finch.jpg

Mark Alt
Brooklyn Center, MN