[mou] Northwest Minnesota Birding Report- Thursday, October 5, 2006

Jeanie Joppru ajjoppru@wiktel.com
Thu, 5 Oct 2006 18:42:03 -0700

--====1160098923====

-RBA
*Minnesota
*Detroit Lakes
*October 5, 2006
*MNDL0610.05

-Birds mentioned
Snow Goose
Cackling Goose
Canada Goose
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe
Red-shouldered Hawk
Sandhill Crane
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
White-rumped Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Long-billed Dowitcher
Wilson's Phalarope
Bonaparte's Gull
Short-eared Owl
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Red-eyed Vireo
Gray Jay
Brown Creeper
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Palm Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Clay-colored Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Harris's Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
Western Meadowlark
Rusty Blackbird
Purple Finch
Pine Siskin
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: October 5, 2006
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru (ajjoppru@wiktel.com)

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Friday, October 6,
2006 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218) 847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

What a wonderful week of cool autumn weather we have had in the
northwest. Leaves are at peak color, and the first real wet, windy
weather will bring them down. Every night the thermometer creeps a
little lower, and frost appears in the low spots. Migration has
progressed to mostly sparrows and the waterfowl numbers are really
rising in the lakes and sloughs.

Deb Johnson in Alexandria, Douglas County, reported RUBY-THROATED
HUMMINGBIRD, RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER, BROWN CREEPER, CLAY-COLORED
SPARROW, FOX SPARROW, SONG SPARROW, LINCOLN'S SPARROW, WHITE-THROATED
SPARROW, PURPLE FINCH, and PINE SISKIN, among others.

On October 4, Matt Mecklenburg reported a SHORT-EARED OWL at Town Hall
Prairie southwest of Rothsay on CR 20 one mile west of CR 19 in Wilkin
County.

>From Otter Tail County on October 1, Glenace Metcalfe reported a
SANDHILL CRANE flying over CR 108, and also a NORTHERN FLICKER and a
PILEATED WOODPECKER. Dan and Sandy Thimgan had lots of migrants to
SPARROW, and DARK-EYED JUNCO; there was a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK on October
1st, a NORTHERN CARDINAL on October 4, and a RUSTY BLACKBIRD on October
5th.

Ben Fritchman visited the Moorhead wastewater treatment ponds in Clay
County on October 4. While there he observed seven species of shorebirds
including KILLDEER, GREATER YELLOWLEGS, LESSER YELLOWLEGS, three
WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS, PECTORAL SANDPIPERS, LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS,
and WILSON'S PHALAROPE. At Cassel Woods he saw a FOX SPARROW.

Here in Pennington County on October 3, we visited the Thief River Falls
wastewater treatment ponds where we found SNOW GOOSE, CANADA GOOSE, and
CACKLING GOOSE. There were also several HORNED GREBES, and BONAPARTE'S
GULLS. Other species seen in the county included YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER,
PALM WARBLER, WHITE-THROATED SPARROW, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS, and
WESTERN MEADOWLARKS. On October 5, a FOX SPARROW was seen in Thief River
Falls.

On October 3, Pat Rice in Beltrami County observed PIED-BILLED GREBE,
EASTERN BLUEBIRD, AMERICAN ROBINS, FOX SPARROWS, and DARK-EYED JUNCO.
Kelly Larson saw RED-EYED VIREO, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, COMMON
YELLOWTHROAT, and WHITE-THROATED SPARROW on September 27. On September
30, she had a RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD at a home on Lake Bemidji.

In Kittson County, Larry Wilebski reported GRAY JAYS on September 30.
Shelley Steva also reported BONAPARTE'S GULL, SHORT-EARED OWL,
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, and PALM WARBLER in that county. On October 1,
Larry Wilebski reported SNOW GOOSE, CANADA GOOSE, and kinglets at his
place near Lancaster.

Thanks to Ben Fritchman, Dan and Sandy Thimgan, Deb Johnson, Matt
Mecklenburg, Glenace Metcalfe, Pat Rice, Shelley Steva, and Larry
Wilebski for their reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at ajjoppru@wiktel.com OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. When reporting by email please put "NW Bird Report" in the
subject line of your message. The next scheduled update of this report
is Friday, October 13, 2006.

--====1160098923====

<PRE>
-RBA
*Minnesota
*Detroit Lakes
*October 5, 2006
*MNDL0610.05

</PRE>
-Birds mentioned
<UL>
<LI>Snow Goose
<LI>Cackling Goose
<LI>Canada Goose
<LI>Pied-billed Grebe
<LI>Horned Grebe
<LI>Red-shouldered Hawk
<LI>Sandhill Crane
<LI>Killdeer
<LI>Greater Yellowlegs
<LI>Lesser Yellowlegs
<LI>White-rumped Sandpiper
<LI>Pectoral Sandpiper
<LI>Long-billed Dowitcher
<LI>Wilson's Phalarope
<LI>Bonaparte's Gull
<LI>Short-eared Owl
<LI>Ruby-throated Hummingbird
<LI>Red-bellied Woodpecker
<LI>Northern Flicker
<LI>Pileated Woodpecker
<LI>Red-eyed Vireo
<LI>Gray Jay
<LI>Brown Creeper
<LI>Eastern Bluebird
<LI>American Robin
<LI>Yellow-rumped Warbler
<LI>Palm Warbler
<LI>Common Yellowthroat
<LI>Clay-colored Sparrow
<LI>Fox Sparrow
<LI>Song Sparrow
<LI>Lincoln's Sparrow
<LI>White-throated Sparrow
<LI>Harris's Sparrow
<LI>White-crowned Sparrow
<LI>Dark-eyed Junco
<LI>Northern Cardinal
<LI>Western Meadowlark
<LI>Rusty Blackbird
<LI>Purple Finch
<LI>Pine Siskin
</UL>
-Transcript
<P>
<P>
This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Friday, October 6, 2006 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may also hear this report by calling (218) 847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.
<P>
What a wonderful week of cool autumn weather we have had in the northwest. Leaves are at peak color, and the first real wet, windy weather will bring them down. Every night the thermometer creeps a little lower, and frost appears in the low spots. Migration has progressed to mostly sparrows and the waterfowl numbers are really rising in the lakes and sloughs.
<P>
Deb Johnson in Alexandria, Douglas County, reported <B style="color: #0057ad">RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD, RED-BELLIED</B> <B style="color: #0057ad">WOODPECKER, BROWN CREEPER,</B> <B style="color: #0057ad">CLAY-COLORED SPARROW, FOX</B> <B style="color: #0057ad">SPARROW, SONG SPARROW,</B> <B style="color: #0057ad">LINCOLN'S SPARROW, WHITE-THROATED</B> <B style="color: #0057ad">SPARROW, PURPLE FINCH,</B> and <B style="color: #0057ad">PINE SISKIN,</B> among others.
<P>
On October 4, Matt Mecklenburg reported a <B style="color: #0057ad">SHORT-EARED OWL</B> at Town Hall Prairie southwest of Rothsay on CR 20 one mile west of CR 19 in Wilkin County.
<P>
>From Otter Tail County on October 1, Glenace Metcalfe reported a <B style="color: #0057ad">SANDHILL CRANE</B> flying over CR 108, and also a <B style="color: #0057ad">NORTHERN FLICKER</B> and a <B style="color: #0057ad">PILEATED WOODPECKER.</B> Dan and Sandy Thimgan had lots of migrants to report this week including <B style="color: #0057ad">FOX SPARROW, WHITE-THROATED</B> <B style="color: #0057ad">SPARROW, HARRIS'S SPARROW,</B> and <B style="color: #0057ad">DARK-EYED</B> JUNCO; there was a <B style="color: #0057ad">RED-SHOULDERED HAWK</B> on October 1st, a <B style="color: #0057ad">NORTHERN CARDINAL</B> on October 4, and a <B style="color: #0057ad">RUSTY BLACKBIRD</B> on October 5th.
<P>
Ben Fritchman visited the Moorhead wastewater treatment ponds in Clay County on October 4. While there he observed seven species of shorebirds including <B style="color: #0057ad">KILLDEER, GREATER YELLOWLEGS,</B> <B style="color: #0057ad">LESSER YELLOWLEGS,</B> three <B style="color: #0057ad">WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS, PECTORAL</B> <B style="color: #0057ad">SANDPIPERS, LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS,</B> and <B style="color: #0057ad">WILSON'S PHALAROPE.</B> At Cassel Woods he saw a <B style="color: #0057ad">FOX SPARROW.</B>
<P>
Here in Pennington County on October 3, we visited the Thief River Falls wastewater treatment ponds where we found <B style="color: #0057ad">SNOW GOOSE, CANADA</B> <B style="color: #0057ad">GOOSE,</B> and <B style="color: #0057ad">CACKLING GOOSE.</B> There were also several <B style="color: #0057ad">HORNED GREBES,</B> and <B style="color: #0057ad">BONAPARTE'S GULLS.</B> Other species seen in the county included <B style="color: #0057ad">YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, PALM</B> <B style="color: #0057ad">WARBLER, WHITE-THROATED SPARROW,</B> <B style="color: #0057ad">WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS,</B> and <B style="color: #0057ad">WESTERN MEADOWLARKS.</B> On October 5, a <B style="color: #0057ad">FOX SPARROW</B> was seen in Thief River Falls.
<P>
On October 3, Pat Rice in Beltrami County observed <B style="color: #0057ad">PIED-BILLED GREBE, EASTERN</B> <B style="color: #0057ad">BLUEBIRD, AMERICAN ROBINS,</B> <B style="color: #0057ad">FOX SPARROWS,</B> and <B style="color: #0057ad">DARK-EYED JUNCO.</B> Kelly Larson saw <B style="color: #0057ad">RED-EYED VIREO, YELLOW-RUMPED</B> <B style="color: #0057ad">WARBLER, COMMON YELLOWTHROAT,</B> and <B style="color: #0057ad">WHITE-THROATED SPARROW</B> on September 27. On September 30, she had a <B style="color: #0057ad">RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD</B> at a home on Lake Bemidji.
<P>
In Kittson County, Larry Wilebski reported <B style="color: #0057ad">GRAY JAYS</B> on September 30. Shelley Steva also reported <B style="color: #0057ad">BONAPARTE'S GULL, SHORT-EARED</B> <B style="color: #0057ad">OWL, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER,</B> and <B style="color: #0057ad">PALM WARBLER</B> in that county. On October 1, Larry Wilebski reported <B style="color: #0057ad">SNOW GOOSE, CANADA</B> <B style="color: #0057ad">GOOSE,</B> and kinglets at his place near Lancaster.
<P>

--====1160098923====--