[mou] Surf Scoter, Goodhue Co.

James Mattsson mattjim@earthlink.net
Mon, 9 Oct 2006 14:50:17 -0500

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

Oct. 9, 2006
10:00am

A  juvenile/female Surf Scoter was present at Lake Byllesby near the sandstone cliff along the south shore, Goodhue Co. I first spotted the bird from the boat launch located at the east end of the main lake on the Dakota Co. side. To get a better view, I drove past the west end of the campground and followed the road that leads to a group of  private homes. A small piece of Dakota County property is on the south side of the road and you can walk to the lake edge on this property. The bird was southwest from this location as was quite easy to see.

I watched this bird dive several times and at one point it leaned back and flapped only its left wing, the right wing apparently injured, possibly a gun-shot victim. Hunting season is underway and cripples are not uncommon on the lake.

Also, a flock of 33 Cackling Geese called and circled overhead at the far west end of the lake.

Jim
Eagan
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

<HTML style="FONT-SIZE: small; FONT-FAMILY: Times New Roman"><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1251">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2963" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>
<DIV>Oct. 9, 2006</DIV>
<DIV>10:00am</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>A&nbsp; juvenile/female Surf Scoter was present at Lake Byllesby near the sandstone cliff along the south shore, Goodhue Co. I first spotted the bird from the boat launch located at the east end of the main lake on the Dakota Co. side. To get a better view, I drove&nbsp;past the west end of the campground and followed the road that leads to a group of&nbsp; private homes. A small piece of Dakota County property is on the south side of the road and you can walk to the lake edge on this property. The bird was southwest from this location as was quite easy to see. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I watched this bird dive several times and at one point it leaned back and flapped only its left wing, the right wing apparently injured, possibly a gun-shot victim. Hunting season is underway and cripples are not uncommon on the lake. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Also, a flock of 33 Cackling Geese called and circled overhead at the far west end of the lake. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Jim</DIV>
<DIV>Eagan</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>