[mou] Update on probable Pomarine Jaeger, Blue Earth County

Peder Svingen psvingen@d.umn.edu
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 12:11:23 -0500

--Apple-Mail-1-175373255

Bob Dunlap just called to report that the jaeger in question is still
present at Eagle Lake in Blue Earth County. He has confirmed most of
the field marks mentioned in last night's posting and today, he
observed a "double underwing flash" and determined that the bird's
central pair of rectrices are rounded. The bird has been seen resting
on the water and chasing Ring-billed Gulls--the jaeger has now been
compared to multiple Ring-billeds and Bob stated that the its size and
wingspan are similar to an average-sized Ring-billed's (i.e., some of
the Ring-billeds appear to be slightly smaller and some of them appear
to be slightly larger).

If documented and accepted by MOURC as a Pomarine Jaeger, this would
represent only the third "inland" Minnesota record of this Casual
species. All other records are from Lake Superior in St. Louis County.
The two previous inland records are as follows:
8 to 24 November 1996 at Lake Pepin, Wabasha and Goodhue counties (Loon
69:3-6);
22 November 1999 at Mille Lacs Lake, Mille Lacs County (Loon 72:56-58).
--
Peder H. Svingen
Duluth, MN

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]
> light-morph Pomarine Jaeger at Eagle Lake in Blue Earth County. This
> is just east of Mankato on Hwy. 14. On the north side of Hwy. 14,
> there is a small dirt pulloff from the highway from which you can view
> the south part of the lake. It is here where I found the jaeger
> sitting on the water. I watched the bird for over three hours and
> called several birders, but unfortunately no one has posted anything
> about it until now. Eventually Brian Smith, Jim Otto, and John and
> Chris Hockema arrived and viewed the bird with me. The bird spent most
> of the first two hours sitting on the water about 300 - 400 yards out
> from where we stood, but during the last hour that I was there it
> became much more active and flew around, chasing gulls, and coming a
> bit closer to us.
>
> Field marks:
>
> -sitting on the water, head and neck light brown, contrasting with
> darker brown wings and mantle that appear uniform in color
>
> -in flight and when resting on water, identical to Ring-billed Gulls
> in size
>
> -in flight, obvious white uppertail coverts (rump)
>
> -underwing pale and barred white, contrasting with darker upperwing
>
> -white crescent flash in primaries of both upperwing and underwing,
> but upperwing's flash fainter
>
> -pale underparts do not strongly contrast with white primary flash on
> underwing
>
> -strong wingbeats, direct flight path
>
> -heavy body, somewhat chunky-looking
>
> -broad wings
>
> -light gray bill with black tip
>
> There will be others looking for this bird tomorrow as well. At this
> point I am going to say probable Pomarine, as I am still awaiting
> expert opinion, and then I will submit documentation to MOURC.
>
> Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County

--Apple-Mail-1-175373255

Bob Dunlap just called to report that the jaeger in question is still
present at Eagle Lake in Blue Earth County. He has confirmed most of
the field marks mentioned in last night's posting and today, he
observed a "double underwing flash" and determined that the bird's
central pair of rectrices are rounded. The bird has been seen resting
on the water and chasing Ring-billed Gulls--the jaeger has now been
compared to multiple Ring-billeds and Bob stated that the its size and
wingspan are similar to an average-sized Ring-billed's (i.e., some of
the Ring-billeds appear to be slightly smaller and some of them appear
to be slightly larger).

If documented and accepted by MOURC as a Pomarine Jaeger, this would
represent only the third "inland" Minnesota record of this Casual
species. All other records are from Lake Superior in St. Louis County.
The two previous inland records are as follows:

8 to 24 November 1996 at Lake Pepin, Wabasha and Goodhue counties
(Loon 69:3-6);

22 November 1999 at Mille Lacs Lake, Mille Lacs County (Loon 72:56-58).

</color></bold>rdunlap@gac.edu

15, 2006 7:31:19 PM CDT

</color></bold>mnbird@lists.mnbird.net, mou-net@cbs.umn.edu

Probable Pomarine Jaeger, Blue Earth County

</bold>